Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2001 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By colin ancell I am thinking of doing a NEBOSH general cert with a view to getting employment within the H&S environment. As I am moving to the West country in the near future I was wondering what the chances are of vacancies in that area and also the salaries that they attract. My working career to date has been as a lithographic printer.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 January 2001 14:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bernard Angus At the risk of opening up an old wound, I should advise you that the NEBOSH General Certificate is NOT a practitioner qualification; You ned to get a Diploma or an NVQ 4. The profession is constantly being undermined by people coming from obscure jobs where H & S is not really an issue and slotting in to jobs with less than proper qualifications. These jobs usually offer low salaries, which further encourages employers to undermine health and safety professionals. Sorry to be so negative, but if you are going for it do it properly ! Bernard
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2001 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Matthews You could do the cert first and then go on to do the diploma which is what I am doing. All the best Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2001 20:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Bennett Why bother to do the certificate? It is not recognised by IOSH for membership and nearly all Health and Safety jobs ask for corporate membership of IOSH i.e Diploma. You will also be facing an uphill struggle even to get an interview for a Health and Safety job because; "Sorry you dont have any experience in a health and safety role." Its a long and winding road, be sure to have a long hard think that this is what you really want to do. Good Luck Lee.