Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 July 2001 06:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Iain Macfarlane Has anyone implemented an H&S incentive scheme for managers and employees? If yes was it successful?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 August 2001 14:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jessica Nicholls I have never been involved in setting up an incentives scheme, however I did work on a site where a very effective scheme was in operation. The scheme was aimed at construction workers on the site - who were all on short term contracts. At various times, about twice a week the Safety Officer & a Manager would walk around the site and randomly pick an employee/group of employees. They would then check against a checklist certain criteria, i.e. is the PPE appropriate, is the individual aware of the precautions stated on the permit, and so on. Rewards were small, but quite popular, including pen knives, pens, key rings, caps, and even 'lucky dip' lottery tickets. The response to these checks were recieved very positively. The safety record of the project (whilst I can't remember exact figures) was extremely good, especially taking into consideration th conditions (ad-hoc workers, construction, unamiliar environmet, etc) If you would like any further information please contact me (jniholls@gknact.co.uk)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 August 2001 10:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jessica Nicholls Iain, and Robert, Thanks for the interest you have shown in the scheme I relayed in my last message. I will be happy to give you both more details - but there is one problem. Robert - I do not have an e-mail address for you - so please could you contact me again. On that same note - I mistakenly mis-spelt my e-mail address - it is jnicholls@gknact.co.uk, apologies. I will contact you both soon, I am quite tied up with ISO 14001 auditors this week, so it could be next. Thank you Jessica
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 August 2001 20:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Fothergill (Having discovered this great site).... Hi,I am currently on the final year of my Civil Engineering Degree (part time) and also working as a road safety engineer within a local authority. As part of my final year dissertation I am wishing to examine/investigate the value of safety incentive schemes within the construction industry - particularly in the UK. (I understand that such schemes are not confined to the construction industry nor the UK). I would appreciate if anybody could provide me with any useful websites/refernces/information which may aid me in my quest. ............Many thanks Tony P.S. My personal e-mail address if required is tonyjfothergill@hotmail.com
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 August 2001 09:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By R.Woods Many apologies my email is bob@klyworksafe.fsnet .co.uk
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 August 2001 22:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams My turn to throw a spanner in the works of safety incentive schemes. Personal opinion here and one gained from experiece is that Managers and Supervisors will cover up things to gain the incentive if its too good. Even free biscuits I have known organisations that have used incentives to try and reduce accident figures as well and this only leads to non reporting of accidents. Ashley