Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 July 2001 16:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen I have recently enrolled on the TUC certificate course in order to gain the academic status for Tech SP. The advantage for me over the NEBOSH Diploma is that I can get this course free. I was just wondering if anyone could inform me of what would qualify as work related experiance in order to gain full Tech SP status.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 July 2001 21:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Gibson Jason I don't know if this helps! A friend of mine gained Tech Spec status without an employment record, as such. He worked occasionally with me on the projects to which I was assigned but was not 'employed' as a safety officer at this time. He had gained experience of risk assessment, training and some limited report writing skills. He had the Nebosh general and construction certificates and his application was largely subject to verification by IOSH via his 'sponser'.He has since gone on to employment within the construction industry. Regards Tony Gibson MIOSH
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 July 2001 00:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen Thats excellent. I have experiance of risk assessments, producing accident investigations, providing reports for the Safety committee. I hold the NEBOSH cert. and have been a union recognised safety rep for three years. Im also a skills trainer, responsibel for training staff in my department. I was just wondering what else I should try to get involved with to help me.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 July 2001 09:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey A general requirement for progression into the TechSP category, as well as the academic requirement, is two years pro rata expereince in health and safety issues. This does not necessarily mean that someone in this grade has to be employed as a full-time safety officer or similar. Particularly with the TUC qualification, most people coming to IOSH for membership are not full-time, as they are safety reps. This effectively means that someone involved in safety duties for say approximately 50% of their time, would need to have four years experience. This can be acquired both before and after gaining the qualification, so we do find most people with the TUC Certificate have sufficient experience when they apply. Currently 132 people have progressed to TechSP membership with the TUC Certificate, which is something both IOSH and TUC are pleased to see. Many of these people are now progressing with higher level qualifictions with the expectation of progressing into full-time safety positions.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 July 2001 09:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen Thannks for the reply Hazel. I agree with what you say. I considered taking the NEBOSH Diploma 1 but was offered a place on the TUC course which is free to me through being a union rep. I hope to gain the Tech sp status and then hopefully my first full time health and safety role, I shall then concentrate on the NEBOSH awards.