Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 September 2001 00:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil haworth I wonder if somebody would be kind enough to give me details of what is involved in Health & safety N.V.Q level 4. I was thinking of doing NEBOSH Diploma but I am leaning more towards the N.V.Q. I am involved in Health & safety on a day to day basis and have so far done OCR 387 and NEBOSH Certificate. Any help/advice would be very appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 September 2001 09:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Phil Go to: www.emptno.co.uk./standards/health/lev4prc.htm then do a search on this site under NVQ4 and or Diploma to look at previous discussions on this topic. Brian
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 September 2001 22:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil haworth Brian Many thanks for taking the time to help. I've now got an idea of the level of the units for the NVQ from the site you gave. Think I need a holiday! But as we all know there's no rest in this game.... thanks again, Phil Haworth
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 October 2001 20:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Glyn Bennett Jones I have just completed a NVQ4 at BSC colloege Nottingham. If you want any further help, let me know. Glyn Jones
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 October 2001 18:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Pinder Hi Phil Just to add my tuppence worth to your thread. Personally I think you will be better off in the long run by taking a Diploma. My reason why: I and a colleague of mine completed the NVQ level 4 almost three years ago with the intention of using this qualification to gain corporate membership of IOSH. My colleague applied for corporate status before me, and after numerous discussions with IOSH and an interview he has STILL not been granted full membership. We both accept that maybe, in IOSH's eyes, his portfolio was/is not up to the standard required. However his portfolio was assessed by an external verifyer appointed by City & Guilds, and this suggests to me that IOSH were questioning this verifyer's competency by not accepting the NVQ qualification as awarded by C&G. Anyway, in the end I completed the NTU Diploma in addition to my NVQ4 in order to be assured (as far as paper qualification was concerned) of having my membership upgrade accepted by IOSH (which I'm pleased to say it now has). I am not saying that all NVQ qualified persons will have a similar problem (I do know of one person that has had it accepted) but it may be a consideration when deciding which qualification route to take. The Nottingham Trent Diploma is also reasonably priced when compared to NEBOSH Diploma and has the advantage of only taking one year to complete (part time 1 day a week)as opposed to the 2 years part time for the full NEBOSH Diploma. One other consideration is that some advertised safety jobs specify "MIOSH by examination" i.e. not by NVQ route (my interpretation anyway). Hope this all helps in your decision if you haven't made it already. Regards Alan P.S. The NTU Diploma is available through some other education establishments if Nottingham is too far for you to travel. On my course we had people travelling up from London and Kent!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 31 October 2001 08:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alex Shannon I got my MIOSH a couple of years ago now on the back an NVQ 4, and I'm now studying with the OU towards a MSc in Environmental Decision Making. You maybe interested in the following route offered by the OU (semi quote from their web site), but remember it's at post grad. level: Professional recognition: This course (T835 Integrated Safety, Health and Environmental Management) together with T830 Enterprise and the environment can help you to apply for associate membership of the Institute of Environmental Management. Our Diploma in Environmental Decision Making, if it includes T835, can satisfy the academic requirement for corporate membership of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health. Hope this is of interest or help Alex
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 November 2001 15:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bernard Angus Don't be discouraged by Alan Pinder's response. NQV Level 4 is really appropriate for people working in higher risk environments, like power generation, steel manufacturing, demolition etc. You will be unlikelty to satisfy the evidence requirements by working in an office. I had my Level 4 portfolio (via C & G and Lancaster University) independently assessed by IOSH, who complemented me on it and admitted me as a Member in 1997, although I am also qualified as a Project Manager. The value of a good NVQ 4 can easily outstrip that of a NEBOSH Diploma, awarded to someone who has no experience whatsoever of managing health and safety in real and high risk situations. But you will need to learn the domain knowledge, for which a NEBOSH Diploma would be useful for the non practical part of your NVQ Level 4. Go for it!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 23 November 2001 15:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bernard Angus Not to mention the VNQs !!
Admin  
#9 Posted : 23 November 2001 15:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Bernard, On what basis do you make your statement "The value of a good NVQ 4 can easily outstrip that of a NEBOSH Diploma"? Is this simply your personal opinion? I'm not sure if this was intended to provke response, but it is indeed a very strange statement to make. Is it perhaps influenced by the fact that you are an NVQ holder yourself? Nick