Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2002 20:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Hancock I would be very grateful if anyone could explain if a B.Sc.(Hons)Environmental and Occupational Health with Safety Management degree, is equivalent to a Nebosh diploma. I would also like to know if the degree would allow me to officially join IOSH on completion. Thank you for any information you can send me.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2002 22:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Houghton I have a feeling that your qualification does exceed the NEBOSH cert. But I will endevour to find out more for you in the next day or two.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2002 08:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Proudfoot Having reasonably recently completed the NEBOSH general certificate, I have enquired about further education. If you gain the Diploma, this will assist you in obtaining corporate membership to IOSH. Having made enquiries, it was suggested by the lecturers at Nottingham Trent University, that it would be preferable to attain this prior to considering the degree.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2002 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Neil Which college were you with? - The NTU version of this is recognised as, if I remember correctly, the academic requirement of part II. This question is in the wrong place by the way. Contact Hazel Harvey at the Grange for better up to date info. Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2002 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey Membership grades of IOSH have since 1995 been based on the national standards in Occupational Health and Safety Practice. The level 4 of these standards forming the basis of the corporate membership grade (MIOSH). The level 4 on the national framework owned by the Qualifications Curriculum Authority (QCA) is roughly equivalent to Higher Education Diploma on the QAA framework which regulates higher education. Both the QCA and QAA are government bodies formed for the control of education. IOSH has not for some time used the NEBOSH Diploma as a yardstick for entry. As it no longer forms the greatest route of entry this would no longer be appropriate. (46% of entries to corporate grade now come from the Higher Education sector opposed to 28% NEBOSH, the rest coming in with NVQs. To answer the specific question posed the BSc degree will be of a higher standard than the NEBOSH Diploma. The NTU course includes an HE Diploma at year 2 of the BSc course, people passing at this level have the academic requirement for corporate membership of IOSH. (An experiental requirement of three years pro-rata full time practice is also required.) Details of qualifications for membership can be found in the membership section of this web-site. We do have a way to go yet before employers understand H&S qualifications (if ever). However when an job advertisment has incorrect details relating to IOSH membership HQ forward details of the correct information to them. As IOSH do not publish SHP themselves we do not, unfortunately, have control over the text of classified ads. There is a guide to employers immediately in front of the job ads. to assist employers and an offer to contact HQ for further info. To sum up a lot of incorrect info is spread about qualifications. If your not sure contact either myself or the Membership dept at HQ for clarification.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2002 12:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Hancock Thank you all for your information. Your Sincerely Neil Hancock
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 February 2002 12:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Rogers Neil, I graduated in 97 with a Bsc in Environmental Risk Management for the University of Wales, after taking up a position as an EHS Coordinator I registered as a Graduate member, 3 Years on I became a Corporate member and now I am looking to become RSP registered. May be this is a route that you could follow? Hope that this is of some help Karen