Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 September 2002 22:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roni Napier Hi, I am considering a career in Health & Safety in the future. Just started NEBOSH Certificate tonight. If I detail my work experience can I have some advice? Worked on a production line for a large video manufacturer for 3 years then moved to the Engineering Dept as a CNC machine operator (1 and a half yrs), obtained SVQ Level 2 Engineering Machining. Moved to Engineering Insurer as an Underwriting Assistant underwriting insurance for Construction, Engineering etc industries. Most work involved arranging statutory inspections for plant & machinery, EAW, LEV. Gained basic knowledge of PSSR, LOLER etc, Construction contracts, liability etc. Due to Company shake up now only dealing with inspection business and Risk Managment, Consultancy Services, Health and Safety etc. Not actually doing the work but as a contact point for Brokers and Clients looking for a quote or some advice. This is quite a new area and my Company is in the process of training us on all their products (Fire Surveys, Risk Assesments, H&S Audits - you name it). Whilst in my current role as a Customer Risk Advisor it is not essential I have NEBOSH I am undertaking this with the agreement of my Boss to further my career within my Company. Our Sales people are NEBOSH and will be undertaking a Degree soon. They are already undertaking survey and assessments. I have been with this Co for 3 and a half years - it's the second largest Inspection Company in the UK (3rd largest Insurer). However if I am not successful in moving forward within my own Company, would my experience (and hopefully I will pass NEBOSH and move on to the Diploma)be suitable for a position as say, a Safety Rep, Trainee H&S Advisor? Please help as I need all the info I can get.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2002 10:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin The Nebosh certificate, coupled with work experience in a particular field, and/or Health and Safety experience in a practical setting, could certainly give you an opportunity to move into a Health & Safety post. It really depends on what companies are looking for and what experience and knowledge you have. There are no set minimum experience and qualifications, other than what a company might decide to set for a particular post. I would have thought that what you describe for your own work history and study would definately be attractive to an employer, if you're not moved up in your own company. Try to get hold of the SHP (safety and health practitioner) magazine Tel: 02089877895 or try shpcirculation@cmpinformation.com or www.shpmags.com. As well as being good reading material for your course, you can check what employers are looking for (and what they're paying!)in the appointments section. Best of luck
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2002 13:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Roni, As Martin has said a certificate and suitable experience (which you appear to be gaining) may well be enough to get you started. Whether this is as an assistant or sole safety adviser would depend on the type and size of the company. Obtaining a Diploma would obviously make you that much more attractive to employees, but remember that appropriate experience is as valued as qualifications. Regards Andrew