Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 January 2003 17:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Kirk I will soon begin studying for the NEBOSH certificate, and would like advice on what is the most useful course to take on completion of the NEBOSH? I am currently employed within the training dept of a large distribution company, giving inductions and training new staff for thier first week with the company, covering fire drills basic H&S and Manual Handling Techniques. There are so many different courses available it is difficult to decide which way to go! I would be grateful of any advice offered. steveyk@ntlworld.com
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 January 2003 17:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas Steve Sent you a direct response. Ken
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2003 09:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce Steve, I was in the same position as you in 1996, passing the certificate, wanting to enter the field of H&S but not knowing which way to move forward. To some extent, my hand was forced by being made redundant! This provided me with some financial back-up to allow me to choose a safety qualification that would give me credibility when I started to apply for safety jobs. Based on advice given by an old safety colleague, I enrolled on a distance learning package for the NEBOSH Diploma Part 1 and worked in a couple of naff jobs while I studied. The course was pretty tough, I felt, but very thorough, giving a good level of background over and above the certificate. Immediately prior to the exams, I started to apply for safety jobs advertised in SHP and was lucky enough to secure the first job I applied for, in a prison, as safety officer. My interviewers later told me that the Diploma had swung my application, all other applicants only having the certificate. I then decided to go down the NVQ route and attained level 4 about one year ago, which helped me get a better paid job with the local council. I hope this has helped. I would recommend trying to get into the prison service as a starting point for any safety career. There is so much variety - living accomodation, chapels, kitchen, industrial workshops, viral hazards. Great experience and a really thorough test of your knowledge, character and ability to multi-task. All the sorts of things that employers look for. Good luck and don't hesitate to contact me if you'd like to chat further.