Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 31 January 2003 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Ashton There seems to be a lot of heartache and resentment about getting a job without any experience(chicken and egg)and like others I was in that situation.In the end I had to go to the local tec and get a government placement at a factory (benefit plus £10 per week)for two years, it was hard but worth it in the end as i was offered the safety managers position and stayed for a further two years.This all happened 11 years ago and I now work for a National contractor as A regional SHE Adviser. As an alternative short term contracts may be an option Keep your chins up
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2003 09:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis I would agree with you entirely Peter -this is also the route I took with Local Authority, basically working for free for 12 months thereafter being offered a post within the safety unit - Mind you I have been stuck in Local Authority ever since - I am still trying to get some experience in the outside world!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2003 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams I wanted to get into the field whilst working as a civil servant. So at the tenger age of 20 I took the decision of taking the trade union approach and studied for the TU qualification route while I got my hands on experiance. I did 10 years union and civil service safety for a whole 10K a year until escaping firstly to work in the voluntary sector providing free health and safety advice, information and support which i did for 18 months and then moved on to working for national company.