Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 June 2003 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Coster I have completed the NEBOSH Nat. Cert. and my work is willing to sponsor my next course. I have been asked to look into both the Diploma and NVQ routes. I would prefer to undertake the Diploma but I am looking in to the pros and cons of both - any advice, opinions etc are willing sought. Thanks Paul.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2003 15:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen It depends a lot on your current role. The NVQ route relies upon you being in a safety role as you need to run safety awareness campaigns amongst other things. The NEBOSH diploma route is perhaps a bit easier for the non professional as part 1 is structured in such a way that it doesnt presume that you have previous H&S knowledge. The bit that puts people off the Diploma (other than the cost) is the exams that you have to do at the end. The course consists of assignments that you do for each module of the course and then two final exams which (I think from memory) are 2.5 hours each. Then there is also the notorious pass rate. A lot of people complain that in order to pass the Diploma you need to adopt 'NEBOSH speak' and structure your answers in a specific syntax that the examiner is looking for.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 June 2003 08:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Fellows Visit the job advertisements! No one says must have NVQ. 70% ask for Nebosh. 5% will state, or equivalent. The only people who rate NVQ's appear to be the organisations that provide them.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 June 2003 08:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen I think thats a little unfair on NVQ's although I do agree that there is a large bias towards NEOSH qualifications. I think that this is largely due to employer ignorance if the NVQ. The NVQ should demonstrate to employers that you can apply the academic knowledge to a reak workplace situation. Something which NEBOSH doesnt. NEBOSH demonstrates that you have the knowledge and can write essays and pass exams. I think if more employers where aware of the NVQ and what it involves then the situation would be different. After all, the NVQ level4 holds the same IOSH accreditation as the NEMOSH Diploma. I also think that this is due to the fact that the majority of safety professionals that employers come in to contact with will have gone down the NEBOSH route. But, as you say most employers do ask for the diploma (although they dont state part 1, part 2 or both!)and its a brave soul who sets out to change the attitude of the employment sector.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 June 2003 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Fellows And there is the rub, or anomaly. NVQ 4 holds the same status as Nebosh diploma as far as membership is concerned. However it is my employees perspective which decides my professional standing, status, pay, conditions etc. And a great deal of that perspective is gained from what they perceive from literature brochures etc from this organisation. I remember a similar thread within SHP letters (prior this site) at that time there were (and occasionally still are) job advertisements that asked for full members "BY EXAMINATION". It should not be a 'brave soul' but the Institute who should change employer's attitudes. If it is the case, that it requires change.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 27 June 2003 09:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lorna Morris Paul I am one of those rare beasts - MIOSH without NEBOSH! I'm an ex-EHO working in local govt as a safety manager and I still have to explain why my qualifications and extensive experience are at least equivalent to a NEBOSH Certificate!. Degrees & Diplomas may give you the background knowledge but experience is more important - perhaps a combination approach would work best. I agree it would be easier if IOSH weren't so closely allied to NEBOSH.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 27 June 2003 10:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey For those entering the corporate membership category of IOSH in the year 1/04/02 until 31/03/03, those with a NEBOSH Diploma only accounted for 22%. People entering with an NVQ 4 accounted for 25% and by far the largest was those entering with Higher Education qualifications. This has in fact been the case for more than 3 years now. It is more than likely that within a few years, that there will be a shift in the background education of the majority of members. At the moment there is obviously a predominance of NEBOSH qualified people as until the early nineties this was the only route to qualification. This will probably then be reflected in the specifications for jobs that feature in the SHP. The listing of all the qualifications accepted for membership is available in the membership section of this web-site, it is worth reviewing this when considering further education or training. NEBOSH is a totally independent organisation from IOSH and has been for many years, although IOSH have seats on the advisory board of NEBOSH to represent the views of the profession, it is no more closely allied to NEBOSH than it is to any of the other education providers (where there is a similar remit)
Admin  
#8 Posted : 27 June 2003 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Raymond Potential clients tend to prefer the NEBOSH route, as this gives them a standard level reached by the candidate. Whilst the NVQ is considered to offer too much flexibility, and set standards.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 27 June 2003 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Paul, I personly found that I gained much more experience and greater knowledge of Health & Safety through taking NVQ4. I found the NEBOSH route more exam orientated and not as benifical to the company that I am employed by. Steve