Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2003 09:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Hodgson
I would like to take the opportunity to introduce myself.

My name is David Hodgson; I am 42 years old and have worked within the Oil & Gas Exploration Industry for 12 years. I am now very keen to expand on my Risk & Safety Management expertise gained as a Vessel Manager running exploration projects. An important part of my role was the management of Health & Safety within the project and Vessel Operations.

To that end I received formal training in Hazard/Risk Assessment and Safety Management, and have regular experience of Risk Assessment and Audits, both internal and external. Writing safety cases and procedures; promoting a safety culture and driving that culture forward were part of my responsibility.

My role was also customer focussed, meeting with clients to agree specification and requirements. Also during the life of a project I would work closely with client representatives to meet quality and project targets, all within the HSE framework specified by my company and external legislative bodies.

I intend to work towards a NEBOSH qualification, initially starting with the General Certificate, and am looking for a start in this industry to build on my experience. I would be very grateful for any advice that would help me to this end, and my CV is available if required.

Kind Regards
Dave Hodgson
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2003 08:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rachelle Smith
Hi there

Our professional body advocate that you need to be at Diploma level to become a full time safety person. So I would push on with your Cert then Diploma which you will based on your experience pass easily. (your knowledge of the Management Regs will help you to understand where the competence requirement emanates from) With your amassed practical experience you will then easily find work. If you need accurate advice why not chat to the IOSH career advisor, e mail IOSH for contact details.

Good luck
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 July 2003 13:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Mackessack
Hi Dave,

If I were you, I would go straight for part 1 of the diploma if at all possible.

I have recently done Dip1 and realised in hindsight) that I have wasted time by doing the certificate first. Don't get me wrong, the certificate is a worthy qualification, but frankly, if you are pursuing a good level of competence and professional accreditation, I'd give the certificate a miss.

There are/were many of us out there with loads of experience that naively thought that you had to do certificate before the diploma. This is not the case.

Good luck in your efforts.

John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 July 2003 08:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Mahoney
Dave,
My background is "similar" to yours, but I went straight in at diploma level at Loughborough University, and it's done me no harm at all.
Good luck,
Paul.