Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 July 2003 18:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Thank you for taking the time to look at this thread. I have recently gained the NEBOSH DIP 1 and certificate and want to make a break into full time Health and Safety work. Problem I have been a jack of all trades in the past ten years this i feel will come of use when dealing with people face to face as i feel i can relate to most types of worker. I have been trying to prepare a Cv to apply for some safety jobs and i feel that my past work experiance may affect a potential employers perception of my self. I would very much appreciate some opinions on how to present myself in a cv and whether i should be polishing it up or seek a proffessional CV compiler. I would be very gratefull of any comments and suggetsions please email me or leave email address and i will forward it to you for your perusal. Thanks all Jason 1 SCARR AVENUERADCIFFE MANCHESTERM26 1WA PHONE 07812893090E-MAIL jason.j.gould2@ntlworld.com JASON GOULD PERSONAL INFORMATION · Marital status: Single· Nationality: British· Age: 30 FUNCTIONAL SUMMARY My previous duties have ranged from creating Health & Safety audit/inspection forms, risk assessments and assisting in the audits and developments of Safety systems of work. My main responsibilities included inspections and working with a software programs that classifies chemicals in relation to the Chemical Hazard, Information and Packaging Regulations 1994 and various other transport regulations.Other employment functions have ranged from all types of machinery operations in relation to metal and plastics. Warehousing, driving both in the UK and Europe. I have a FLT license as well as driving 7.5 tonne vehicles. I have also worked in different construction trades when I was in my late teens. My last employment was in a customer service role, which has enabled me to gain the experience to communicate with numerous types of people. PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE 2002 - 2003 One-Tel (Centrica Group) ManchesterCustomer Service Advisor· Working at an inbound call center dealing with both mobile and landline telephone issues including billing and account services. Duties also included cross selling of other services.2000 - 2001 Tetrosyl (Car Plan) BuryResearch Chemist (Health & Safety Assistant)· Assisting the Health Safety & Environmental manager in the development of various safety systems in which to enable the company in the creation of a QHSE policy. My main role was designing forms site inspections and the classification of products.1998 - 2000 Magnum Worldwide (Interpolymer) BoltonService Engineer· Based in both Grimsby and Bolton. Travelled to various UK and European sites to install and discharge Bulk liquid flexi tanks on customer’s premises. Also Training of new staff to take over the Bolton’s depots role.1996 - 1998 Strebor Die Casting RadcliffeFoundry operative and power press operator· Employed in the foundry producing aluminium castings for the motor industry. Also worked in the machine shop where castings were drilled, bored and pressed before being despatched to the customer.1992 - 1996 Apex Granulations RadcliffeNight shift foreman· Responsible for all production, loading and the receiving of goods in relation to the plastic recycling industry. Supervised and trained other members of staff and was the key holder for the premises.1990 - 1992 British Army Strensall Kings Infantry Soldier· After training my main duties were on the security section. Participated in many team-building exercises. SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS · NEBOSH Diploma Part 1· NEBOSH Certificate· 7307 Teaching Certificate (City & Guilds micro teach)· CIEH Basic Health & Safety Certificate PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS REFERENCESOTHER INFORMATION · IOSH (Affiliate Membership, Tech sp with further 1 years exp)Paul Chapman Mark Owen HSE Manager Production Manager Tetrosyl Ltd Interpolymer Walmersley Rd Bradly Fold Bury BL9 6RE Trading Estate Bolton TEL 0161 764 5981 TEL 01204 380030 I have worked for some short spells at different locations for agencies when in between jobs.This has given me wide experience in most types of work including demolition
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 July 2003 19:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Jason Your CV is boring. It smacks of ACTIVITY rather than DELIVERY. I would suggest you 're-engineer' your CV so that it's clear to a prospective employer what difference/value/benefits you can bring to an organisation. That said, I'm sure mine is equally as deficient, so I’d better have a look at it. ;-) Brian
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 July 2003 19:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Thanks Brian In the past for everyday jobs it has worked but I know it is faulty now. I will bear what you have said and take the nessessary action after a few more opinions. Sorry you have had to look at it squeezed on the page the format looks ok in word. Grammer was not one of my strong points when it comes to CVs Lack the keywords and what you have just pointed out
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 July 2003 08:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Before you're efforts are assassinated on this forum, why not try www.gojobsite.co.uk, they have many services and one of them is to check your CV and recommend improvements as necessary. I've not used it myself and it costs but it may be worth it at the initial stages of your efforts to break into H&S. Good luck
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 July 2003 09:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Paterson Hi Jason Send a copy of your C.V. and I will look at it for you and maybe structure it another way if that would be of help. Professional C.V. compilers cost money. The website that Ron talked about allows you to submit it in word format free. Monster.co.uk are the same. Can send you a copy of mine if you give me your email.(cant access personal email addresses from work) Regards Robert Paterson
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 July 2003 15:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Hill Jason I came in to health and safety under similar circumstances as yourself (years ago) and faced similar problems. A close friend of mine is one of the HR Managers at British Airways and gave me some very relevant advice regarding CV's. I adopted her approach and usually receive positive feedback (if not always a job) when I present my cv. Rather than (as someone else has already mentioned) telling potential employers how good you are, let them know what you can do for them. Even in 'other' professions during your 'Jack of all trades' phase, you would have had (at least personal) responsibility for safety...of you! My cv features a short, 5 line personal profile. This is where you tell 'em what you reckon you're like. Next comes Key Competencies. This is the section you can 'big up' your IT skills, people management, Report writing, customer focussed etc. Then to the previous work history. It should be headed with your job title, who you worked for (company name) and then the relevant dates. Follow this with 4 or 5 bullet points of the responsibilities you have/had and then immediately below this, another 4 or 5 bullet points listing your achievements in that role. Run thru your work history like this, but if you have, as many people have, loads and loads of jobs, you can always compress these by saying something like June 1996 to March 2000 - Temporary Short Term Contracts in various roles such as blah, blah, blah. If you get an interview, you mustn't lie about your past, but you can put it down to gaining 'valuable experience'. Safety's one of those careers where experience of a variety of industries CAN be very useful if you are pursuing a career as a generalist. After the work history, list education, Training and any relevant qualifications - such as your NEBOSH diploma and finish with membership of any professional orgainsations. Above all Jason, don't lose heart. It's a great profession once you're in, and it's full (as this forum testifies) of very professional, talented and above all, helpful people. I've learned SO much from total strangers who just share the bond of safety. Good luck.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 July 2003 18:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould I would like to thank everyone who has spared a few moments of their time in assisting me with this dilema. I am glad i did choose this career direction mainly because of the people I have met on the courses. We all seem to share one thing in common and thats the challenges we will all face and the diversity of such roles. But what has Impressed me most is the people on this forum who all try to assist each other even if they have to agree to disagree at times (Again takes the bordem out of such jobs). As some of you know to well there comes a phase in your life when after 6 months at different jobs you are bored stiff. I was one of those people who constantly needed change to make me feel alive. Now 30 have decided its time to concentrate in a safety role after some good advice by an Iosh member. Its just the tidying up of the past in CV that i felt i may be held back but thanks to you guys and the examples you have provied along with once again good advice I now feel I will be able to construct something apealing to an employer. Good Luck All Thanks Again Jason