Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 September 2003 14:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By E. A. Smith
Brief Profile:
Over 12 years in Occupational H&S Management

Fellow of IOSH, Registered Safety Practitioner and IRCA trained auditor

Extensive Construction and Railway experience

Development of OHSAS 18001/ ISO 14001/ ISO 9001 management systems

Author of technical publications

Litigation handling

I am based in the North Midlands.

I am currently undertaking an MSc in Environmental Management

If you are an organisation which is interested, please contact me through the e-mail link above.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2003 10:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By E. A. Smith
I am finding the job market an intriguing one at the moment. There have only been two private responses to my posting and interestingly none have come from agencies.

It will be interesting to hear from other members of this forum what their experience of the OH&S employment market really is?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2003 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee
Just a thought but do you think that with your qualifications experience etc companies looking on this forum may think you are out of their price range.

This happened recently where someone on this forum asked for a safety officer then the week after thanked everyone but felt that the salary they had in mind did not reflect the calibre of respondents !

I think your best bet will be to scour the Practitioner every month and apply for the ones that meet your expectations.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2003 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis
You are not alone!

I similarily have had little response on this forum from postings I have placed over the last few months, despite being MIOSH and RSP, there seems no interest for a fully qualified and experienced safety officer, but interestingly there has been a lot of interest for people with the General Certificate - Perhaps prospective employers feel that they will get more value for money, paying less for someone less qualified, or perhaps are placing the value of Health and Safety officers lower than they should.
I initially thought It was where I was based ( North Wales) but have noticed yourself and other qualified people similarily getting little response.

Well we will have to keep trying

good luck

Paul Bellis
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 September 2003 10:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By E. A. Smith
Paul,

I would agree with you, it is tough out even out here even with the experience and qualifications required. I am aware of one person who acquired a PhD in safety management, and failed to develop a career.

In reply to Peter’s comment, my salary expectations are no greater than that expected by an average Corporate Member of IOSH.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 September 2003 12:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By gary k browning
just a comment I agree with the over qualified comments.
Have you thought that the higher you progress in your field the fewer vacancies there are for instance there is only 1 managing director in a company but many directors. So on this premise large companies who require a highly qualified safety advisor, but may then require lots of less qualified staff. Thats why there are so many cert jobs (less money less responsibility.)

One last point have you ever thought of spreading your working week, offer your services on a part time basis and get 2 or more jobs your knowledge and skills are important why not spread them about.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 09 October 2003 10:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By E. A. Smith
In reply to all those of you who have kindly replied to this thread, I have found that unless you live in the southeast, the job market is fairly quite at the moment. Maybe the demographic trend is for safety advisors to live away from London and the South East at the moment. I am prepared to travel.

I find it strange that unless you have the necessary professional qualifications and experience it is difficult to find employment and when you do obtain these you are suddenly over qualified.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 10 October 2003 00:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne
Dear All,

I think the underlying reason why people do not get much of a response in this forum is that the vast majority of people who use it are all safety practitioners and not HR Managers or recruitment agencies. The forum is little known outside of the HS&E profession so will only attract the same fish from the same pond.

Paul
Admin  
#9 Posted : 10 October 2003 09:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By E. A. Smith
Paul,

I am certainly not disappointed with the response that I have had from this forum as I have had already had five enquiries from this thread.

Just as the SHP, word of mouth and agencies have their role in helping find a position, I have also found this forum an effective source of obtaining positive enquiries.

It is reassuring to know that there are other people out there looking into our pound.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 10 October 2003 14:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch
Paul C

I have personally recruited 9 staff through the forum (including in about half the cases responding to THEIR postings)

They come from a range of backgrounds, and levels of experience and qualifications, ie from recent graduate through to RSP, and staff looking to change career direction into H&S.

The result is that we want a balance of resources to match the needs of our clients, hence we are not ALWAYS looking (or capable of affording) an RSP, as we have several.

Geography

These staff are by no means all located in the South East

Glasgow - 1 and subsequent replacement, when the first found his childhood dream job of working for the "Polis"
Edinburgh
Newcastle
Manchester
Cardiff
Reading
London
Croydon

Good luck all, Peter