Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2003 21:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Chappell I ama 24 year old lift engineer. Employed by the UK's largest lift engineering firm. I have over 8 years experience in all aspects of the industry. I have completed my NEBOSH cert and will shortly be completing my NTU Diploma in EH&S. I am looking for my career to move in a new direction. I ideally would like a career to combine my experience of the lift industry and my knowledge of health and safety. Preferably i would like to be self employed. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions of ways i could further my career. Any advice / suggestions much appreciated. Many thanks Ken Chappell
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2003 03:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Like you ken I want to get into Health and Safety. Heres a couple of things I have been advised to do. 1. Get a teaching cert under your belt. 2. Join someone like IOSH 3. (Im still learning this) Office politics 4. Get used to taking the mick out of yourself cos all your freinds will hehehe. 5. Try and master a pc to the best of your ability. 6. Think liability insurance etc. 7. Hunt all the free info sites down and add to your favourites. 8. Dont let anyone put you off. 9. Finnally I would suggests getting Degree Or NEBOSH Dips (this can be disputed by others) Good luck mate (if its any consilation I have not found a job yet hehehehe) Jason
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 October 2003 19:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JIMMY GOODFELLA HI KEN, I MYSELF WORK FOR A LIFT COMPANY,THOUGH I HAVE ONLY JUST STARTED I CAN ALREADY FIT ELECTRONIC SAFE EDGES! AND EVERY 4th WEEKEND I AM ON-CALL COVERING NORTHERN REGION! ALTHOUGH I AM STILL NOT ALLOWED TO DRIVE THE VAN. I BELIEVE I WILL BECOME ONE OF THE BEST LIFT ENGINEERS IN THE WORLD ONCE I OVERCOME MY BIGGEST FEAR- WHICH IS LIFTS!!! IF I CAN BE OF ANY HELP TO YOU KEN PLEASE DONT HESITATE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH ME. JIMMY GOODFELLA F T M
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 November 2003 14:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Veronica Napier Hi Ken, I to am looking to start a career in H&S. The company I work for Zurich Risk Services provide risk management and health & safety services under Property, Environment, Occupational Health i.e. fire/security surveys, H&S surveys/audits, H&S consultancy, Engineering consultancy - you name it we do it. We are also one of the leading statutory inspection bodies - Lift/Crane, Boiler/Pressure, Electrical/Mechanical, PUWER/Power Press items, LEV & EAW inspections. At present I only work in the office arranging the work on behalf of insurance clients etc however would like to branch out into hands on H&S instead of advising on it. Anyway, as you are lift engineer why not send you CV to our Head Office and apply for a position as a Lift/Crane Engineer Surveyor. You have relevant experience and NEBOSH Cert is a bonus as some of our guys have recently done this too. You would be trained up to do all Lifting plant and given continous training and support. The salary is really good and so are the perks. Anyway I recommend this as you will need to build your experience to move into H&S and this is an ideal way of doing so. Many of our Risk Analyst/Consultants started of as an Engineer Surveyor and through further study etc have moved into the H&S side of our business. Please check out our website - www.zurich.co.uk/riskservices Our address details are on it and our Head Office is in Rubery, Birmingham. Hope this gives you an idea and good luck