Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 November 2003 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Veronica Napier Hi There, I am looking to move in to a junior or assistants post having passed NEBOSH Gen Cert back in August. However I see from most job websites and also this one that there are hardly any jobs ever advertised (at my level at least) in Scotland. A couple of jobs have been sent to me from Employment Agencies (all at junior level) however these are all in London or in England in general! I have posted a message before on this website to ask if my experience was suitable for a junior post and many thanks for all the response I had (this message was posted under the name Roni Napier) - so it seems that yeah I am suitable for some positions albeit very junior level. Anyway I hope that someone from the Central Belt of Scotland may have some sort of opportunity that I can be considered for. Even if someone can take a look at my CV and give me some advice I'd be very grateful. Please email me for a copy and I will be only to glad to provide!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 November 2003 10:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Al Penman I have came up against the same problem. I finished university last year having done the BSc (Hon's) in Safety, Health & Environmental Management at Nottingham Trent Uni. I started applying for jobs in Scotland and in 8 months got 1 interview, during the same period I applied for 3 jobs in England and got offered 3 jobs. I am at present working in London and my family are at home in Ayrshire. Since February when I started working here I have applied for about 15-20 jobs and have had 4 interveiws, with still no luck of a job north of the border. I check amongst others s1jobs.com on a regular basis as it has some safety jobs on it and also the Glasgow Herald on a Friday if I am home. It would appear unless you have many years of experience employers don't seem to want to know. I have been applying for junior positions and some asking for 3 years experience in the hope that eventually I will get something. All the best in your job hunting. Al
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 November 2003 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson Have Emailed you directly. Forgot to say I`d have a look at your CV for some outside input NEAL
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 November 2003 10:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 November 2003 11:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By William HI, i am in the same boat 3 years after leaving college, i have a HNC and still not got anywhere, so i am now working in the offshore oil industry to try and get a start. I think what the problem is, is that scotlands manufacturing economy is in a bad way and also a a poor attitude by employers north of the border to qualified but inexperianced workers, most would rather leave a job unfilled for 12 months that give someone a chance