Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 November 2003 19:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael.Armstrong Hello, I recently passed the NEBOSH certificate course and am looking into possibility of doing the Nebosh Diploma. However a local college runs the Nottingham Trent Diploma course on a part time basis. Has anyone on the forum taken this course in the past?, I would be interested to hear hopw they found it and how long it would realistically take to pass, is it a bridge too far having only just passed the certificate?, I passed with a distinction but am not a practitioner although about 50% of my work involves H&S, Coshh assesments, risk assessments, fire and alarm systems and testing etc. According to the college blurb it is a better qualification than the NEBOSH Diploma, what does anyone else think. I am committed to furthering my education in H&S and there is a good chance that my company will sponsor me, I would appreciate any advice. Thanks to all Michael
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2003 20:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin George Micheal If you can get your company to sponsor you why not contact ACT at actsales@actassociates.co.uk for details because last June 2002 they achieved 100% passat Nebosh Dip1. It will probably cost about 4k but what the hell if you haven't got to pay!! As for me I'm at Stafford College on day release and hopefully will get a pass -- wait and see with lots of hard work. All the best Kelvin George
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 November 2003 21:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Onigbanjo Hi Michael, It may be worth looking at the wider possibilities, for the same price as the NEBOSH Diploma you may be able to do post graduate studies(e.g. PG Dip. or PG Cert.) , which may include - or could lead towards a masters degree I know there have been previous discussions around the merits of diplomas versus degrees, but in my (limited) experience I have found that employers seem to be clear about degrees, and less clear about the status of a diploma. I am sure IOSH HQ staff could help out with a list of course providers in your area. Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best. Regards, Dave O.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 November 2003 08:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip Roberts Michael, The NTU diploma is not an easy course but is very interesting and worthwhile course of study. It may or may not be "better" than NEBOSH but has the advantage of having an "Environmental" module which has to taken as a seperate course with NEBOSH. It is a very intensive course with a lot of research to be done to complete the 12 x 2000 word assigments required and a 20,000 word project. It can be completed in one year if you have no other committments and an understanding family but more realistically 18 months to 2 years should be set aside to complete the course. If your require any more info please e-mail direct, best regards Phil Roberts
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 December 2003 09:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Clifton Michael As a former student of Nottingham Trent Uni, I can tell you that the course, due to being crammed in to 12 months, is quite intense and needs a fair ammount of time, both at Uni and at home. You will need to set aside around 20 hours per week to comfortably complete your studies, assignments and final dissertation. Having said all that (which may sound like bad news) I personally enjoyed (if that's the right word) the experience and would reccomend it to anyone who is serious about qualifications for their future. The level of support you receive is excellent. The NTU Diploma is equivalent to NEBOSH Parts 1 & 2 and the cost is much less. It is a well respected and recognised qualification within the field of H & S. I would only say to you, GO FOR IT, as I did and the rewards, both financially and personally, will be well worth the effort. I hope that this has given you encouragement and answered your questions. I wish you the very best for the future. Adrian Clifton MIOSH (currently self-employed,well paid and thoroughly enjoying it.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 December 2003 13:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams Both my colleague and I did NTU at South Tyneside and were perfectly happy. Both being self financed, we took the cheapest, shortest route to MIOSH. NEBOSH 1 & 2 may be better and/or more in depth, I don't know. I do know that they cost alot more and take longer. Whichever route you take is pretty intensive study wise, has a major impact on family life and requires good time management skills. Having said that, I am happy with the course I did and what I got out of it. It gave me the foundation to build on in my employer's business.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 December 2003 19:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael.Armstrong Thanks to all for advice, I think it is the route to take in my position. Sorry I havent replied to offlist e-mails, I have been away for two weeks on Hols, will do so soon. Regards Michael
Admin  
#8 Posted : 09 December 2003 11:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Angela Black I'm not sure about the Nottingham Trent Diploma but I have the Glasgow Caledonian University Diploma. If they are in any way similar then I'd thoroughly recommend it. The university diploma was based more on the practical application of the legislation, from what I've heard from colleagues who have undertaken Nebosh courses these are far more prescriptive and want legislation quoted chapter and verse which in my experience I've never needed to do. I also found that when applying for jobs prospective employers were interested to find out more about the course as they were more used to applicants having the Nebosh qualifications, so it may have been beneficial just to be a little bit different
Admin  
#9 Posted : 17 December 2003 12:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Maguire Michael, I completed the NTU Diploma on a part time basis over 2 years and confirm that 1. Its hard work 2. Employers treat it equally to the NEBOSH Diploma 3. Its an excellent course providing a good level of knowledge across a wide range of topics. If you are contemplating studying for it other than at the NTU it would be worth seeing if you can have access to the course materials or speak with someone who completed the course at that college. Whilst the college has to meet the minimum requirements of the NTU to keep its franchise, the quality of course materials can vary greatly. Regards Andy