Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 December 2003 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Foulkes How do you get a job in Health & Safety? I passed NEBOSH Dip. 1 this year and hold TechSP, but my current employment as a workplace trainer does not provide enough exposure to H&S issues and therefore my experience is limited. Now on Dip. 2 (all self financed), I expected to get a job without too much difficulty but it is difficult to be convincing at interview when most of your knowledge is curricular rather than experiencial. I plan to do the CIEH Train the Trainer course in the new year, but since I work full time (no day release) this may just be an extra burden that brings no significant benefit. Self employment is a consideration,(I have twenty years experience in various businesses) but prospective clients would want to see a track record. My employer is not interested in my studies and goals, and has made it clear that my qualifications will not lead to suitable role at that site. Money is not the driving force for me, so if anyone has an opening for a well qualified 'trainee' or any advice I am all ears. Paul Foulkes.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 December 2003 21:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Allsop Dear Paul I am in a simlar situation I recently passed Gen certificate and am studying for Dip 1 my company Wont help in any way, in fact I am funding it myself. The problem comes that I want to move into H&S full time but how do you gain experiance. Has anybody any ideas it becomes so frustrating
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 December 2003 18:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Miller Well disapointed fellow would be safety pro's I have held the NEBOSH gen cert for 3 years. One year later I embarked on the NTU diploma (all self funded)and I only have one module left to complete. I have over 30 years experience in construction/building maintenance supervisory management. To date I have applied for over 25 jobs and have had one interview. I lost that one to an internal safety rep? (you work it out!) Sorry I cannot help you but as I have said before many times (its the old chicken & egg syndrome) No experience, no job- no job no experience. All the vacancies advertised now ask for at least 2-5 years post experience. I have a theory that something has to change soon as the current safety profesionals are fast becoming an aging population! Every month in the SHP publication there must be at least 150 + jobs all chasing people with vast ammounts of experience. If industry, consultants and agencies do not invest in, and constantly ignore those who have not only self funded the required qualifications but have put personal lives on back burner for 3 years, Then there will be a situation similar to the construction industry where all have lost interest and trained for something else. Good luck with the job search PS try volunteer work schools, charities etc, this might help in the long run. Mike
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 December 2003 08:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By jon hammond Hi Guys Just keep plugging away.It took me 8 years to get a job in H&S after passing cert.I must admit I did get disolusioned at many times but eventually found a company that was "willing to take a chance".You guys seem to have a wealth of knowlage that will be usefull in the role and in my experiance that can be worth more than just qualifications. My advice is dont set your heights to high to begin with get your foot in the door and then with several years experiance move on. I hope this helps and keep on applying perhapes on your cv you concertrate on what H&S work you might have done no matter how insignificant it might appear to be Regards to you all Jon
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 December 2003 11:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Thomason I really do sympathise with your problem but it it possible to overcome this. Michael says "All the vacancies advertised now ask for at least 2-5 years post experience" - I disagree; I have seen ads for assistant safety officers that need less qualifications and experience (they are generally not well paid of course.) The last time I was job-searching after redundancy, I applied in total for about 80 jobs, and was interviewed for about 7 of them, before I landed a good job. You just have to persevere, and concentrate on applying for the jobs you know you are really suitable for. Best of luck and I hope you soon get away from your unsupportive employer. Good jobs do come up, you are obviously committed so in time you will get one. Diane
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 December 2003 16:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Diane is right here and her experiences (ratio of jobs application to offers) match my own. I had a H&S job, but an appalling employer; so 15 years experience plus qualifications, but the jobs were still hard to find. Over the past three years I applied for maybe 300 jobs and got around 10 interviews, of these I had two job offers - turned both down as I felt the job wasn't for me. Earlier this year I followed a lead from this forum and am now is a great job that I think suits me very well. You've got to keep plugging away - eventually the employers requirements will match your specifications. There are people out there who might not want/ need a fully qualified experienced H&S bod. Don't get too dispirited.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 09 December 2003 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott I agree.. I landed a job as a Safety Advisor with same Quals as people above - this I did by bombarding agencies online, (e-mail 50 a day, phoning agency's) Being prepared to take a drop in salary was a huge advantage - and being able to start quickly is also very good advantage - but keep at it. www.sypol.co.uk www.principal-people.co.uk These were good - I got the Job through Principal agency, these seem to me to be the most professional of the lot - but keep at it.. It's the constant bombardment that keeps you in the minds of the agency staff... I did this solidly for 6 weeks, and they got so feed up with me, they put me forward for all the jobs. Check your CV as well. For example, I found that I had skirted over some of my real skills, in favour of Qualifications, make sure ANY experience you have has the relevant Health & Safety angle. Hope this helps Chris
Admin  
#8 Posted : 09 December 2003 14:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Foulkes Thank you all for your response, advice and encouragement. Paul.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 09 December 2003 15:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Pigg Chris' advice is bang on - qualifications are useful but the first thing that is looked at on your CV is the duties of your last 2 roles. Richard Pigg Senior Consultant Review H&S Recruitment
Admin  
#10 Posted : 10 December 2003 09:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott I didn't bombard you too Rcichard, did I ? ;) Heheheh.. Chris
Admin  
#11 Posted : 11 December 2003 16:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Vince Craze Paul, Give me call on 07773 844145 Vince
Admin  
#12 Posted : 12 December 2003 10:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Vince Craze Paul ref. our telecon last night here's the details you need The Health and Safety People 01767 682800. Ask for John Thoday or Mike Rimmer.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 15 December 2003 09:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul King Paul, As a leading health and safety consultancy we have a graduate level entry programme which enables health and safety professionals with qualifications an opportunity to gain relevant experience. For an informal discussion please feel free to contact me on 020 7422 4111, or email paulking@arkhealth-safety.bdx.co.uk