Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2004 08:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Hogg Hello All, I have been working in the shipping and the oil and gas industry for 20 years always away from home during that spell, I am looking to do a Nebosh general certificate to try and make myself more compatible for working on dry land and be closer for my family life. Will the General certificate open the correct doors for me or should I with my background go for a diploma from the outset?? Also I have asked my current employer to fund the course but they have declined as they probably realise I would move onto better things at their expense, is there any governing bodies which can help the fund the course, I know the distant learning is cheap but I want to do the 2 x 5 day courses to do it quickly and start applying for a new career path, can anyone help with these queries? If so great, cheers in advance. KH
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2004 17:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin George Hi Kevin I spent 14 years in Seismic and got made redundant. The last 5 as Party Chief where H&S on board was my responsibility (not hat it had much to do with real H&S). I decided to do the NEBOSH Diploma as my skills do not seem to tranfer on shore very well. I did this for 2 reasons, 1 because I was reliably informed - by NEBOSH - that it would take me from ground level in H&S, and 2 I am 42 years old and need to start a new career ASAP. If you can afford to take the extra year I would recommend starting with the Certificate course because you get a very good grounding and also learn what NEBOSH want. The Diploma then takes you that bit further. Cheers Kelvin