Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2004 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Melrose
Wondering if someone can tell me the rough going rate for an individual with a Masters in Ergonomics, Nebosh Certificate and just under 5 years experience within the field of Ergonomics / health and safety. I am also a safety rep for the organisation that I work for which is based in Scotland.

Also, would I have grounds for complaint if a colleague was on a substantially higher wage than myself but did the same job (main difference - it's a he and he's been there 2 years longer than I have). Don't like to complain but feel I'm being taken for a mug!!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2004 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
Equal pay for work of equal value springs to mind...

Salaries never seem to be on a level playing field even for 2 people of the same sex and anyone who plays this card will not be popular.

The only way I have seen people be able to lever more money when it has been refused previously, is to say that they've been offered another job and hope that the company asks what it would take for them to stay.

Some companies will make an offer, others will absolutely not. One company I used to work for started to, but people soon caught on and lots of people said they'd been offered another job (when they hadn't) just to get a few more grand.

Regards,
Karen

Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2004 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee
I got an interview for another job and told my employer, I got the old chestnut "what would it take to make you stay", I told them to offer comparable terms and career development, they agreed.

I cancelled my interview and lo and behold my employer said "oh well we didn't mean, THAT".

Moral of the story, apply for another job, and don't be bought off.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2004 13:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Melrose
I enjoy the job, it's just the salary I'm not too happy with. Just wanted to know what I'd be worth elsewhere so I can argue my case a whole lot better. Most salary calculators have H&S but not ergonomics and don't think the Erg Society would give me that information...

Would be great to have something else but few ergonomic jobs up here in the frozen North and bills to pay.....
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2004 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee
Alison,

its your call I am afraid, just look in the back pages of SHP, you will see Safety Practitioner jobs ranging from £18K to £100K.

I used to like my ex job but doubled my salary to move to my present.

Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2004 14:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Alison,

I empathise with the pay differential problem, but I agree that it isn't always a case of sex discrimination as the whole company policy could be along the lines of "see what they'll take the job for and then just pay rises on that baseline" - so it might not have anything to do with your gender, just a poor policy being in effect! However, if you feel it is seriously detrimental to your pay and position, it can be challanged. But as others warned, you need to be sure of your case and willing to see it through to conclusion.

As for money, it comes down to a choice - are you getting job satisfaction and can you achieve what you want to achieve both in and out of work on the pay you already recieve? If you are (or were) content with your lot, then comparison to others may be misrepresentative and even corrosive. Look to yourself to devlop and gorw - only if they don't support you or are trying to hold you back should you be considering a move. Don't overestimate the warm feeling of job satisfaction - it can be of much more value than mere cash. Move just for the money and you might just feel you've made a deal with the devil - and you might only find out when it is too late to go back. there is an old saying: "I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am"!

If you *are* seeking to move outside your current locale, don't forget to take account of the cost of living in whatever area you are considering a move to - relative value is important and you can't judge it solely on the overall figure on offer. No point in doubling your salary if it costs three times as much just to live there!

And for our English & Welsh cousins - it ain't frozen here right now, it's actually quite mild!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 10 February 2004 16:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Homer
You have my sympathy, been there done that.

It unfortunately is not unusual to come across this, it depends on conditions of employment really, I had a colleague sitting opposite me, doing less but earning thousands more than me. It simply isn't fair.

I decided to leave and like many got the, 'we'll sort out your salary', at this point I told him to stick his job where the sun don't shine.

C'est la vie.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 10 February 2004 16:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Melrose
Bit the bullet and spoke to my boss about it so he's going to look into it (he agreed with all the points I raised) so I'll just have to wait and see. As I said, I enjoy my job (most of the time!) and would like to stay up here in Scotland. I guess I'll just have to save some money and pay for my own training if I want to get anywhere - THEN I can set up in business and earn oodles of dosh (LOL)
Admin  
#9 Posted : 10 February 2004 16:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By garry saunders
My advice is to join a Trade Union now and then ask them to advise you about your situation.