Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 March 2004 14:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Johnston
I have applied for jobs all over the place via email, snail mail, by phone and by my god given right to ask face to face. Still no joy!

I have tried to write very professional covering letters and CV's, with huge help from this forum I must add, but so far only one interview. So here it is in plain old english facts:

NO, I do not have any practical experience in health and safety.

NO, I do not have a diploma or degree, only my first stepping stone - NEBOSH certificate.

NO, I have not managed to achieve much by way of health and safety as I have not been given the chance.

BUT.......

YES, I am passionate about health and safety.

YES, I can change the world and make it a safer place to work.

YES, I want to learn from more experienced professionals.

YES, I want to gain more, much more qualifications.

YES, YOU are making a mistake not to even give me an interview.

I will guarantee excellent results in my work, all I need is the "foot in the door".

I am looking for work in Scotland and will gladly send my CV on to any employer who requests via this email:

john_johnston@blueyonder.co.uk

or in this forum post.

I thank you for your time reading this and even better still, giving me a chance!

Kind regards,

John

Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 March 2004 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Paterson
Hi John

Would you say that you were 'competent' under Regulation 7 of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.

Many Employers are know looking for Diploma Status and Membership of IOSH as a competent level.

I know it is difficult to get into H&S but have you thought about consultancy to small companies who may not be able to afford full time competency. This would help you to get the necessary practical experience.

Continuing your education for at least Diploma would also benefit you and also potential employers.

Hope you find what you are looking for as there are not many openings north of the border

Good Luck

Robert
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 March 2004 16:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee
I hate to sound despondent but I belive you will find difficulty gaining full time Health and Safety work with the NEBOSH Certificate, how about self funding an accredited Diploma, there are many others than NEBOSH check the membership information to the left of this page.

Good Luck mate, been there done that.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 March 2004 16:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Patrick Keady

I think I saw a trainee safety adviser post advertised in this month's Safety and Health Practitioner. From memory, I think thats its not in Scotland, but why not have a look anyway.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2004 17:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Johnston
I thank you all for the time you have given to my post.

Robert, if I was a production manager or the likes with the NEBOSH certificate then yes, I would say I was "competent". If I was to be employed as a trainee or a health and safety officer reporting directly to a supervisor, then yes, I would say I was "competent". Sadly, I see your point for most positions advertised, my lack of experience is probably my competency downfall. Although, I do consider myself "competent" in respect of knowing my limitations. I know my knowledge is limited to the NEBOSH certificate, therefore I would like to think I know when to ask for help.

I have given my services on a voluntary basis recently, but only on a completely informal basis. A local primary school allowed me to review their health and safety strategies. This gave me good insight into practical health and safety and also allowed me to make good suggestions for improvements, which were actually taken up by the head teacher.

Also, Robert and Peter, I am desperate to throw myself at the Diploma (or equivalent), but as I am unemployed, this is way out of my reach for self funding. The second I gain employment, the forms sitting on my desk to enrol at college for Dip part 1 will be signed and posted.

Patrick, this position, if it's the same one, is within commuting distance to London. I have seen many positions and have applied for many positions for trainee and equivalent, even those ones require at least 2 years experience.

I will not give up however, something will turn up and I may even look into some consultancy work for smaller businesses as Robert has suggested.

Once again, thank you for your replies.

This forum post was certainly worth a try, I've tried everything else!

Sorry it's a bit long winded.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2004 21:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller
Why don't you try your local employment service. Ask to speak to the workfinder team who may be able to assist you with funding. Also there is lot of pots of cash available to the unemployed. Again try your local Councillor or MP I'm sure they will point you in the right direction

Good luck

Mike
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 March 2004 22:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Johnston
Been there Mike, all I can get is travel expenses to the college, no more no less.

Don't worry, I'll keep at it, my time will come.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 02 March 2004 08:25:00(UTC)
Admin

John

Just a thought. I remember when at the Caledonian University in Glasgow doing the Management of Health and Safety Diploma (by the way more cost effective than NEBOSH and is accredited to IOSH) there was a guy who was sponsored by the employment agencies to complete the course he was also doing Environment Management at the same time.

Might be an idea to contact the Caley and find out more. The course coordinator is Taylor Bourne and he might be able to advise you. You can phone him on 0141 331 3157.

But as always there are no promises.

Kind Regards

Robert
Admin  
#9 Posted : 02 March 2004 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryan Weatherill
On the question of funding NEBOSH courses, most colleges have 'Access Funds' these pay for all costs, except exam fees, and are available to persons so that they can attend courses that they cannot for some reason or another afford. I would talk to your local provider and ask them how these funds can be tapped, so that the higher qualifications that are so necessary for competence in the field of h & s can be gained. If you want to get into the field then track the funds down. We have had students go through this system at our college. I should say that we are in North Devon.

Good luck

Bryan
Admin  
#10 Posted : 02 March 2004 10:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Patrick Keady
Hi there, found the job - its with Shropshire County Council, probably based in Shrewsbury. More info at http://www.shropshireonline.gov.uk/employment.nsf and click Shrops CC
Admin  
#11 Posted : 02 March 2004 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Johnston
Firstly, thank you very much Patrick for taking time to find this advertised job, and yes it looks just perfect for me and my situation, but, I really can't relocate to Shropshire from Scotland. I wish this job was closer to home.

Secondly, thank you very much Bryan. Yes there are funds under certain circumstances, none of which fit me at present. I have been on the phone all morning to local authorities, local colleges and universities. Still the only cash they come up with is travel expenses.

Thirdly, thank you very much Robert. That's a lot of thank you's! I called Taylor Bourne who was very helpful indeed. Caledonian University offer the Diploma over 2 years on day release at just over £3,000. This course can be paid up by installments each year, so £1,500 approx per year. With a little help from my family and possibly a part-time job, I can start University at the end of this year! My situation does not allow me to take any old part-time job though, which does not help my situation.

Anyway, today is a good day, I thank you all sincerely for all the help, advice and encouragement.

Woohoooooo, Uni here I come!
Admin  
#12 Posted : 02 March 2004 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee
Congratulations mate well done, as I said earlier theres more to health and safety qualifications than NEBOSH !

Admin  
#13 Posted : 02 March 2004 15:38:00(UTC)
Admin

That's great John.

If you are going to Caley give my regards to Taylor.

The course is has quite a good structure and the lecturers have had experience in industry so it is really training from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I to was in the same situation as yourself and paid for the course in installments.I met a guy at the course who was looking for some assistance at his place of work and I went there as a consultant. Did that for the rest of the course and also for further 6 months after that.

The experience I gained has helped me to get my present position as a H&S Manager.

So be encouraged at what you have achieved so far and what you are about to achieve.

Good luck on the course and look forward to your graduation.

Kind Regards

Robert Paterson MIOSH
Admin  
#14 Posted : 02 March 2004 17:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian G. Minty
Aberdeenshire Council are looking for 3 H&S Assistants.

You can look at the job advert on their website. You'll need to be quick, the closing date is on Friday.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 02 March 2004 19:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Johnston
Thank you Ian for that, but sadly Aberdeenshire is too far away for me. I'm not being picky at all, but it is approx 200 miles from where I live, not within commuting distance.

Robert, Taylor did in fact recognise your name and remembered you well, he also sends his regards to you. He has never used the IOSH forums before but I have a feeling he may pop in sometime in the future.

Once again, thanks all. Today I have more of a plan for my future, which incidentally will fall into place after my marriage in July.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 02 March 2004 21:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller
Well done Bud. Welcome to education on the drip ! Both I and my son owe a fortune in student loans and credit cards, but what the hell who said that living was cheap anyway !!!!!!!

Mike
Admin  
#17 Posted : 03 March 2004 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin George
John.

Can you drive a car??

If you can then get yourself a taxi licence and do as I have done and become a taxi driver.

Firstly it will gain you money.

Secondly you can do it when it suits you.

Thirdly when you sucessfully complete your Education Studies you will be going to employers as an Employed person not as an ex student.

Best of luck

Kelvin
Admin  
#18 Posted : 03 March 2004 11:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Hi John

Where do you live? You can answer that through the personal email if you like rather than put it on public domain. The reason is that I have kept most of my university work amd course assignments and If I can help you in any way let me know. I live in the Central Belt of Scotland.

Congratulations on you forthcoming marriage.

Kind Regards

Robert Paterson
Admin  
#19 Posted : 07 March 2004 11:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By james mackie
I have read with interest some of the comments on this subject. It is clear to me that some individuals are basing competence on academic qualifications. This is clearly nonesense. Competence is based on training, knowledge and experience. I work with some Health and Safety 'professionals' who are qualified up to the back teeth but can not address a simple man-management issue or deal with people face to face. They are in my eyes, not competent. Simply having a qualification does NOT mean you are competent.
Admin  
#20 Posted : 07 March 2004 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller
James

I take your point about qualifications over experience. However if you are a regular contributor to these forums you will know from previous threads that before one can gain experience,confidence and competence, one has to have the qualifications. Because without them you cannot get a job.

The current trend with employers is to seek qualifications first and experience second. Just look inside the SHP or at any other job advert.

Remember the chicken and the egg?

Mike