Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2004 12:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mary
Hi,

I am looking for advice on the best way to enter the H&S world.

I am currently working as an Engineer for a consultancy. However, I have completed the IOSH Managing Safely Course and hold an additional role of Safety Co-ordinator within the office, both of which I enjoy/ed.

There are limited H&S opportunities with my present employer so I am seriously considering doing the NEBOSH Dip Part 1, by distance learning, and making my move that way.

Is this the best way to get into H&S?

Would the NEBOSH Certificate be sufficient? Or is this very similar to IOSH Managing Safely?

Am I likely to be employable with the Dip Part 1/Certificate, but little actual hands-on experience?

Is distance learning a good way to do it (given that I have a full time job)?

Any help and advice anyone can give will be gratefully received.

Many Thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2004 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By shaun allport
Hi Mary,

the NEBOSH Cert is a foothold into the HSE world, it is recognised as a qualification from there you can develop.

..... but as always experience counts for everything in my book, too much attention to Dips & letters in my opinion and not being able to administer true HS&E in industry today

..... But many may not agree?

Summery... go for it, it will serve you well in all employment situations.

Good luck

Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2004 14:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee
Go straight to Diploma, NEBOSH certificate did nothing for me, just whetted my appetite for the diploma.

There are many other diplomas (not just NEBOSH)which are accredited by IOSH,
check out "membership information" to the left of this page.

Corporate membership (MIOSH) is what you should be ultimately aiming for.

Good Luck.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 March 2004 15:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Jones
Mary,

Try the link above (if you haven't already!) "Do you like the Lake District?"

Don't know your location, but it could be something worth looking at.

Good Luck
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2004 16:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lewis T Roberts
Yeah,
nice one shaun. Course in very town and city you'll find unqualified doctors, teachers, engineers, nurses not. There has to be a benchmark for both quals and experience. Experience is not everthing and if thats what's in your book....unpublished I'll be bound.

LEW
Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 March 2004 17:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch
Phil

Thanks for the plug!

Mary

It would help if you arrange an email link so that prospective employers can email you direct from this site by double clicking on your name.

Phil's plug may be sound. Our track record includes developing engineers, and others, eg my former Departmental Secretary into MIOSH status H&S professionals, eg via Level 4 NVQs.

Agree with previous respondent that doing NEBOSH Cert may be not best route forward, though not necessarily entirely for the same reasons. Rather you are likely to be bored - too much overlap between Managing Safely syllabus and that of the Certificate. Might be better going for the new Construction Certificate if you want a stepping stone.

Regards, Peter
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2004 10:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mary
Thanks for all the responses so far.

I have (hopefully) allowed a link to my email so anyone can contact me directly, should they wish, as suggested by Peter.