Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 August 2004 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By K Wardale Dear All, I have secured a job interview next week for a large facilites company and would welcome any hints or tips in getting the job from those who have been in a similar situation. What do you think I need to brush up on? Any advice would be greatfully appreciated. Kelly
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 August 2004 11:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Suzanna Sorry i can not give you any advise, but CONGRATULATIONS Suzanna
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 August 2004 13:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brett Day Fantastic, good luck !! Some things I've found that have worked for me: Take a look at the company's website, get as much info as possible - new contracts, clients etc... Take a couple of copies of your CV to give they may have lost their copy and it shows you are organised, also some times they get an abbreviated cv from HR that has missed things out. Take copies of your qualifications and references - some people like to look at them and use them as a talking point, take a set of photocopies of these to give to them (if they ask or make an offer there - it can happen) Be yourself, obviously you want to sell yourself but it's no good getting into a job you know you would hate unless you don't plan on being there long. A weasel phrase but if you are asked 'do you have any questions for us ?' and you suddenly go blank (I've had that feeling a couple of times) you could try 'Yes I did have a few, but you've already answered them for me' it also works if that's the truth. These are things that have worked for me and emloyers have commented on and in one case got me the job over beter qualified poeple. Anyhow All the best !!!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 August 2004 13:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Carrick Probably obvious, and I'm sure you have already done this, but brush up on your regs., especially fire and PARTICULARLY asbestos in the light of the recent change. Good luck and well done!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 August 2004 13:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Leon Zacharow Another thing to add to the last responce which seems to be given to the H&S person to do is DDA. With your interview being with a facilities company it will be something that they will have to be dealing with, so it may be a good idea to read up a bit on Disability Access. All the best with the interview. Leon
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 August 2004 13:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Jones Kelly, A site was suggested yesterday as worth visiting - www.alec.co.uk/interview/intq1.htm where there are about six pages of good interview Q's and A's. Good luck David
Admin  
#7 Posted : 05 August 2004 13:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Congratulations, and good luck I always try to have a question to ask at the end of the interview. I've been for quite a few interviews lately, had a couple of offers but nothing that grabbed me. One question I keep getting asked is what I would do on day one - obviously you can't really know that until you get there so reasoned guesswork is called for I suppose. One thing I have noticed is that interviews now seem to be designed more to give the candidate the opportunity to present themselves, rather than the old fashioned test of stress tolerance level they used to be. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#8 Posted : 06 August 2004 10:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth Congratulations kelly, I can speak with some experience of this having recently secured a new position (Yippee). This was not without encountering some hurdles on the way however as I have been looking for a new position for quite a while. You havn't said what your new job is going to be (Positive attitude)are you going to be the senior manager, safety officer etc? The interview technique will largely depend on the role you are going for. Anyway all the tips so far have been sound so use them as you feel appropriate. Other things you might consider are getting a book on interview techniques from your local bookshop or library and study it carefully. You have already got over the first hurdle and secured the interview, they know that you are experienced and qualified for the role so all you have to do now is demonstrate that you are the best person for the job. Think about the questions you might be asked and have your answers prepared. Also bear in mind that the person interviewing you may be just as nervous as you are,(they may not neccessarily be a personnel person). You are bound to be a bit nervous but concentrate on your strengths. Wear a favourite work outfit (nothing brand new - it will not be comfortable). Do a trial run of the journey and make sure there is somewhere to park. Leave in plenty of time to get to the interview. Better to be half an hour early and sit in the car than be a minute late. The sort of questions you might be asked may include: Tell me about difficult situations / people you have had to deal at work and how you resolved them. Tell me about yourself. (Give a brief account of your career to date and any relevant out of work activities that you are involved in). Why do you want to move? (Career progression?) What have been your key achievements? Do not be negative about your current employer What are your strengths? (Do not brag or boast - but don't be too modest either) Do not admit to weaknesses or faults. Concentrate on positive results from appraials that you have had. Listen to the questions carefully, let the questioner finish and then wait a second or two before replying. If you are asked a question that you do not understand do not be afraid to say so, they my rephrase it for you. With regard to the comment about what would be the first thing you would do on your first day,It largely depends on the role you are taking up (Positive attitude) I answered along the lines of meeting as many key people as possible and then familiarising myself with the current safety management system with a view to auditing it. I have found honesty to be the best policy - it hasn't always worked in my favour but neither have I been tripped up by telling a white lie. When asked technical questions I have admitted when I have not known an answer but have also demonstrated how I would find the answer. Have some questions prepared at the end. These may include asking what the next stage would be - this is when you discuss terms etc Other questions might be such things as the company accident statistics - enforement action and what are the outstanding issues that you wil be expected to address. I could go on and on and on........ Get that book, study it in detail, research the company and be yourself. Report back in a couple of weeks when ypou have got the job. By the way is anybody out there looking for a job in food manufacturing in Esat Anglia?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 06 August 2004 10:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth opps I mist sart oat mt spilling!!
Admin  
#10 Posted : 06 August 2004 11:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Might sound a bit silly but make sure you know whats on your CV and why it's there.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 06 August 2004 12:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Goodstadt Good point Ron. I've been caught out like that before - and you feel a complete idiot trying to remember exactly what you have written when sat in the interview. Good luck Kelly
Admin  
#12 Posted : 12 August 2004 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By K Wardale Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice that you sent me over the past couple of weeks. From using your advice, I have managed to get through to the second interview stage and will be going forward for that next week. Having not been through many second interviews do any of you have any further tips on how I should prepare for the interview. The job is working as health, safety & environmental co-ordinator for a facilites management company. Once again, all your advice is greatfully appreciated. Kindest Regards, Kelly