Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 September 2000 23:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Carson Hi All Does anybody know what regulations apply to using a fork lift truck on the public highway. Does it need an MOT, road tax,headlamps, indicators, separate insurance etc. Thanks in anticipation Graham
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2000 12:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Hi, Graham. I would suspect that the use of any vehicle on a public highway, as defined by the Highways Act 1980, will require those vehicles to meet the requirements of the Road Traffic Regulations Act. This would include licensing, registration, road worthyness and testing (for type/use etc), lighting and maybe tax as well. In respect of specific industrial vehicles, other requirements may be necessary e.g. reversing bleepers, flashing beacons, signings in respect of length, width, height, loads, left hand drive, no signals etc etc.... Hope this helps... best regards.... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 September 2000 20:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Daniel My understanding is as follows but beware I have not checked this out: The situation is the same as farm tractors. If you just use your tractor on the farm you don't need a license etc. If you cross the road to get to a field on the other side, this is also OK, so then you might drive down the road to get to the next gate down.... When you get as far as going to market (or to block traffic in Whitehall) you definately need a license. Trouble is no-one tells you how many miles/yard you can travel before you qualify! There is no magic rule. So for fork trucks - the same thing. Small journeys across the road .. perhaps OK, driving around the industrial estate not so good. Being sent out with a 6'x4' pallet to the local chip shop a mile away to collect 300 fish & chips, 150 Chips, and 250 pie & chips for the nightshift at 4:00am is definitely a no! no! It happened! and no lights on the truck either! Eventually the chip shop owner closed and retired abroad, so they had to go to back the Works Canteen) Dave
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2000 08:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Agree with Dave but it may be wise to discuss your road usage with the local police to confirm how they would react if an accident occurred.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 November 2000 21:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Armstrong Dave, I was faced with a similar problem last year and the advice from my local HSE Inspector was this: There used to be an exemption for short distances (~2-300 yrds I think)between premises but this has been revoked. The same rules apply now for all FLT's as for any other mode of transport; that is tax, insurance, driver licencing and appropriate training. I'm sorry I cannot be more precise than this but I have since move companies and cannot check my records. I suggest you check with your local bobby or inspector to be certain. In the meantime, I would stay of the roads (and the footpaths for that matter - you may laugh but I've seen it done)until you can be sure. Regards Steve Armstrong.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 November 2000 11:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Boyd My fork lift instructor has always stated that all trucks must be roadworthy in the manner of a car. It does not need road tax or mot if being driven less than 3 miles per year on the roads. If it is on a highway then the operator must have a car licence.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 17 November 2000 21:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Carson Hi All Thanks very much all for the help you have given. I have sent off for some information from BITA which should give me the definitive. Regards Graham
Admin  
#8 Posted : 11 January 2001 20:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin I know this response may be a bit late,but may be of value to other contributors of this forum. I have just encountered the same problem, and the answer to your query is, All vehicles that are on a public highway are subject to the Road Traffic Act 1988. My local traffic police, would, in the event of an incident or accident involving any vehicle (FORK-LIFTS, DUMPERS E.T.C.), on a public highway, look at the following criteria. (1)Insurance, has the vehicle specifically been insured to operate on a public highway, if not, offence No.1 (2)Does the driver have a current and valid driving license that allows them to drive a road vehicle,(Car licence will suffice), if not offence No.2 (3)Road worthy, is the vehicle maintained and in a safe condition to be on the road, so this will depend if your vehicle is maintained regularly. In the case of a fork-lift it would be crazy to drive the vehicle 20 miles to your nearest MOT centre, then to be stopped just as you were about to enter. As long as the vehicle is road worthy and you have all of the maintence and service records to illustrate that this has been carried out, then everything should be fine. (If not offence No. 3) (4)Tax, this is the one that I have heard so many different versions of what is and what is not required by FLT's e.t.c, when on a public highway; Fact- if your vehicle does not exceed 1 mile per week on a public highway, then you can apply for an exemption certificate from your local DVLA Local office........ if and only if the vehicle is used for the purposes of forestry, horticulture or agriculture,if not offence No.4.(Information source-Local DVLA) All of the nonesense regarding, if you drive backwards with a carrot stuck in each ear on the 3rd Sunday of the month and providing your FLT is sky blue pink, will exempt you from prosecution mullarky,simply does not apply or exist. Hope this is of use to someone Regards Martin Knox TechSP.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 12 January 2001 07:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Carson Hi Martin Thanks for the info, very useful. Regards Graham