Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 September 2000 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw Has anyone got research or experience of using physiotherapy (or similar) service for work related injury (such as manual handling) to aid rehabilitation. I would be particularly interested in cost benefit analysis.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 September 2000 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Wilkes Sarah, We are running one of the Back in Work schemes funded by the HSE/DoH. We are running a programme of both Physio and psychological interventions for people off work for between 4-6 weeks. Before 4 weeks most of the evidence says that the majority of back pain will get better on its own. (I personnally still see a benefit for on the job physio though). Neil Budworth from NSK is also worth contacting as he is looking more at back awareness/risk reduction in the same area. Perhaps you would like to contact me to discuss it further if you want some more info. Barry Wilkes Workwell project, Sandwell. 0121 543 4490 Barry.Wilkes@sandtec.co.uk
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 September 2000 12:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Beresford We use a local chiropractor who we access and get appointments within 24 hours. We pay for the initial assessment and 5 "treatments" where necessary. Total cost max £155. We tend to get people back to work within a couple of days...and therefore vastly cheaper than having them off for several weeks, which is what happens when the GP's get their claws in sign them off with bed rest for weeks on end. But we also have in-house rehab programmes to slowly get men back into the work ethic.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 October 2000 09:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Wilkes James, What sort of company do you work for (small/large?) and in what type of industry. How much use is made of the service? Barry
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 October 2000 10:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Beresford I am the Occupational Health Adviser for a company employing around 600 people in a manufacturing environment. When I arrived in November 99, it was evident that large numbers of staff were having manual handling accidents and also spending significant periods off sick with back and other types of pain. On the basis of guidelines from the Royal College of General practitioners, then later (March 2000)from the Faculty of Occupational Health Physicians and previos experience with Rover, I sourced a Doctor ofd Chiropractic. She sees people within 24 hours of injury. We pay for the first consultation and 5 further treatments. We get regular reports about each case and recommendations about light duty activities. She attends our weekly suckness review meetings to give advice to managers about rehab programmes. She gets us rapid access to MRI scans where necessary and at a quarter of the cost of normal routes. More importantly we get people back to work much quicker and fitter. How well is it used. Well very well actually. We do however have an agreement that only certain injuries get referred...must be a works related accident for instance. I am away on holiday after today....so you can mail me at home at gassac@hotmail.com James
Admin  
#6 Posted : 04 October 2000 10:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw Barry, James, Many thanks for your information. I have passed it on to our Occupational Health Nurse, Sue Giles. She may contact you to discuss further, we are still trying to put a cost/benefit proposal forward to management. Sarah J Shaw EHS Manager FisherScientific UK Ltd, Loughborough
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 October 2000 15:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston Try these: and long links - you may have to cut and paste
Admin  
#8 Posted : 06 October 2000 16:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston Whoops the forum software doesn't like tags Try http://www.csphysio.org....prbackpain13may1998.html and http://www.csphysio.org..../csp/pr23august1999.html