Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 November 2000 20:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shaun Churchill I would be very greatful if anyone can tell me what the legal requirements are with regards to the disposal of flourescent discharge lighting tubes. We are not talking about a great number of tubes (less than 20).
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 November 2000 10:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Whittle Shaun, Special Waste Regulations 1996 are what you need to comply with. There is specific information published by the EA on disposal of fluorescent tubes and lamps (low pressure & high pressure). Although high pressure lamps contain mercury (usually 0.002% by weight)this is still below the threshold for it to be classed as special waste.I think your main risks are fire & corrosive substance rather than an environmental. Email me with your fax number - steve.whittle@fluoros.co.uk and I will fax you copies of the EA guidance. regards, Steve Whittle
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 November 2000 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Shaun Check also with your local Environmental Health Dept (I am assuming you are in UK), since some are less strict than others. My local authority will accept up to half a dozen in a skip, but I know of at least one other which insists on even one tube being disposed of under hazardous waste licence Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 November 2000 17:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alex Watts I would suggest contacting the company that remove your waste at present.