Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 November 2000 21:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Thanks to all who responded to my query on Safety Culture. Is 41 responses a record, even though 34 were requests for Ian’s excellent paper? On the basis of Ian’s paper and other replies received I’ve prepared an internal paper for discussion at executive level. This includes additions to Ian’s paper on the need for Leaders to lead rather than direct, ensure teams supported to deliver their goals (resources, systems) and avoid a blame culture (focus on underlying causes). I firmly believe that my Director feels that he is acting in accordance with the company’s best interest in what is a harsh commercial climate. One conclusion I’ve drawn from this exercise is that there is a need for a simple guide to show how Directors can make a personal contribution to improve their company’s safety performance. Perhaps IOSH could work with the CBI to produce such a guide.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2000 08:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram Thanks David. I agree with your idea, which was why I decided to make that presentation in the first place when I was given freedowm to choose my subject. The current plan is for IOSH to work jointly with IOD, rather than CBI, but other ideas are welcome.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2000 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Hill David I have to agree with you when you say you feel your Director is doing what's best. Sadly, this is a common attitude combined with the 'We're completely up together with everything, aren't we?' response. I hope the presentation goes well Best wishes Jerry
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 November 2000 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle David. IOSH have a publication, details below. Have you read it? Safety for Senior Executives by Allan St John Holt Designed specifically for board directors and other senior executives, Safety for Senior Executives deals with management concepts and legal liability of directors as part of IOSH's 'Safety for Senior Executives' course, for which it is the recommended text. It includes a range of checklists to allow potential problem areas to be highlighted easily. ISBN 0 9013 5723 5 £9.95 (airmail £13.95) If not it may assist. Stuart Nagle