Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2000 18:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Armstrong
Can anyone please help?

I work for a company which, has recently expanded it's business into the international market; mainly the Middle East.

We have started to send small (3-6 men) teams of employees to work on sites in some quite remote areas of Tunisia, Oman and the Arab Emirates, to name a few. The teams are involved in land oil and gas drilling projects.

Given the unstable and often volatile social climate of some of these countries, I need to obtain information on the liabilities facing our Company should our employees become involved in any kind of civil disputes, etc. The fact that our parent company is North American based compounds the risk, I believe.

We have already undertaken basic risk assessment and put in place a number of simple control measures, such as provision of communication systems and security, but how/where do I find information on legal (civil & criminal) requirements both at home and locally?

Hope you can help.

Regards,

Steve Armstrong
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 November 2000 21:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram
Lots of tricky issues, including cross-cultural stuff!

Have you checked the OGP (Oil & Gas Producers) website? - they publish good guidance re Medical and other issues in remote areas, the Geophysical Sub-Committee tend to handle these issues, as they are the 1st group into a new area. Also most majors in the oil industry have security advisors, who should know about driving and flying issues - if you don't have your own, try the operating company you are working for?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 November 2000 12:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Budworth
Give IOSH HQ a call. George Wedgewood has written a very good technical datasheet called safety in the global village (or something similar) which gives lots of good advice and contact information.

Best Regards

Neil
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 November 2000 06:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alex Shannon
I am currently working with a major in a remote location - and Ian's advise is sound - we use OGP guidence alongside company policy, while also applying EU, HSE and some US legislation/ACOP/guidence