Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2000 13:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Maguire
A while ago there was an article in THSP regarding the use of safety netting as fall protection in the construction industry. The article gave reference to the standards that the netting (and mode of fixing) should comply with to meet the requirements of fall protection.
Our site has recently had safety netting fixed to the inside of the roof to reduce the risk from falling objects untill repairs can be carried out and it is proposed to use this as fall protection for those working on the roof replacing sheets, steelwork etc.
I would be grateful if someone could let me have the relevant information or point me in the right direction to find it.

Thanks

Andy Maguire
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 November 2000 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Denis Hands
Andy,

I gather from your question that you are trying to confirm that the nets that have been installed will be up to the job if 'used in anger'.

Safety nets should be manufactured to BS EN 1263-1, and each net must carry a label confirming this to be the case.

The nets should have been erected to BS EN 1263-2, which any reputable rigging company should be complying with.

If you have any doubts regarding the integrity of your nets or the way they are rigged, it might be worth contacting, Rob Harris at Rombull Netting (01494 485558). Rob, in conjunction with CITB, has been instrumental in developing a course of training for net riggers, and he should be able to answer questions on the finer details of rigging nets to an acceptable standard.

I hope this helps

Denis