Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2000 17:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By jennifer offord Does anyone out there include home safety in their health and safety policy, give training/information on home safety or have a home accident reporting system integrated into their workplace reporting system. I don't need home safety websites as I am aware of their contents. Please also feel free to comment on whether you think integrating home safety into your OSH policy would be practical or helpful to your organisation. Thanks J Offord
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2000 20:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Jennifer. I take it you're referring to those who work at home in a home office as 'tele-workers' !! IOSH have a a recently reviewed paper -'Teleworking - out of sight, out of mind' that is available from this web site for downloading. (see the section' techncial Information.) For my own part, working from home, we have included this area within our policies, which is just being reviewed at present. I would hope that other companied who employ teleworkers also do the same. Regards... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2000 20:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor We do - only in as much as we manage (among other things)residential care and sheltered accommodation, provide housing and have employees visiting the homes of clients. I do try to promote home safety and provide information, education and training to our residents, tenants, care staff, wardens, staff visiting homes, teachers (to pass on to the pupils in our schools), etc - but it has to take its place among all the other health and safety at work tasks! I would certainly encourage other H&S practitioners to get involved in home safety - but time often seems to be the problem these days - and what about road safety?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 November 2000 16:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By jennifer offord Thanks for the responses To clarify my point I am not referring to home workers but to the issue of home safety as in that every employee lives in a house. Since home accidents account for more accidents than those in the workplace or those on the road I wondered if any organisation integrated home safety into health and safety training. While obviously not being a legal requirement and therefore lacking in one of the major drivers for safety management, it would have a benefit in reduction of accidents and therefore reduction in absence costs. Any further comments thanks Jennifer
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 November 2000 17:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Budworth Du Pont integrate home safety into their mature (in safety terms) sites. They do this because as you say a lot of accidents occur at home and because if someone behaves unsafely at home they are likely to behave unsafely at work. I am afraid that I don't have any further details. Best Regards Neil
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 November 2000 17:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Although home safety is not part of my remit, I find that it is useful to bring home safety into workplace safety training as it can often be used to illustrate the latter with the more familiar home hazards (and use the workplace precautions to emphasise complacency at home). So fire training includes the chip pan, fire blanket, smoke detectors and escape plan etc., PAT contrasts with the ancient electric blanket, CoSHH mixes bleach with Toilet Duck (no practical demonstrations!). I'm sure this helps to dispel the mystique of OSH and promote the idea of thinking safety at work and at home. John
Admin  
#7 Posted : 22 November 2000 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Fraser At my place of work (onshore - Oil & Gas), we offer the facility for individuals to borrow PPE from work should they be performing any DIY away from the office. The only rule that applies is that the individual must first perform a task risk assessment to ensure all risks have been addressed. This system works well and reminds individuals that Safety never stops.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 22 November 2000 21:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor In support of this line of thought: At this year's RoSPA National Home Safety Congress we had a presentation from Bob Rae, Safety & Quality Manager, CCG (UK) Ltd telling us of the strategy employed by the Offshore Division of this catering company to include home safety as part of their efforts to prevent accidents. This will have been of particular value to the staff concerned as I understand that they spend half their time on shore leave at home and half 'on the rigs'.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 03 December 2000 18:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Abbott Hi, I have recently taken up the challenge to introduce accidents, incidents and near miss reporting from home.I work for a large chemical company.Although it's not yet in our Safety Policy it is a future possibility. Our scheme is currently gathering momentum as people become use to the idea and can see the obvious benefits.Senior management have backed me on this quite strongly with committment and money i.e.we recently rewarded our workers with safety at home gifts.From next month we hope to pay £1.0 per report this will go to charity.If you or anyone else have anything positive I could use then I would be grateful for any info offered. Regards, Paul. E- mail p.abbott@talk21.com
Admin  
#10 Posted : 04 December 2000 15:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Grace Jennifer, When I worked for the UK subsidiary of a US organisation back in the 1980s "home safety" was a feature of their US activities that we failed to transfer "across the pond". I felt then(and still do)that this was a shame. A common approach to home safety and workplace safety reinforces the overal culture. There is the issue of costs, lost time etc within the workplace that result from out of work accidents. There is no doubt that as "mature" companies develop their approach to H&S to include behavioural safety the inclusion of home safety issues must help to reinforce the overall message. But I guess the reality is that taking on home safety before one gets a good handle on workplace H&S is perhaps not the best aproach. Hope this helps. Regards, Phil
Admin  
#11 Posted : 05 December 2000 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Jennifer, as an ex du pont safety manager, I may be able to help. Off-the-job safety (not just home) has been an integral part of DP safety for many years. Sites I worked on posted OTJ stats just as they did on-the-job. when we worked up an annual safety programme, we often set 10 "monthly themes", of which about half concerned OTJ subjects. On alternate months there would be presentations, training, displays etc for on or off the job. At one site in france, two employees had minor injuries from chain saws (cutting firewood). their supervisors arranged for the local agricultural college to come in and, on the car park, two trainers gave demonstrations of "safety in the woods", including walking, horseriding and wood cutting. "Safety is for life" Merv Newman