Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 November 2000 17:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew D Smith-Lawrence My garden borders a garage which has Asbestos sheeting for a roof, this is 80% covered with moss and I am aware that moss can break down the sheeting matrix. The owner of the house is looking to remove the Asbestos sheeting. Is there any precedent or legal requirement for the local authority to carry out the removal of the asbestos or to give guidance on suitable contractors, bearing in mind this is a domestic scenario? I would appreciate comments from any members who may have come across this situation.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 November 2000 22:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Andrew, When I worked for an Environmental Health Dept this query was always being raised by local residents. The first piece of advice is, that if the asbestos roof is not damaged, then leave it in situ and periodically (e.g.once a year) give it a good coat of paint. If the roofing is damaged, then your Local Authority Environmental Health Dept will be able to give you the names and telephone numbers of approved/licensed asbestos removal contractors. They will not specifically choose one for you as this is down to you. Unless there has been some dramatic change in the law since I left, they (the LA)have no obligation/duty to remove it. Hope this answers your question. Regards, Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 November 2000 09:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Unfortunately the removal of asbestos cement sheets from domestic property is still seen as a possible DIY job - although I would not advise it. The DETR guidance seems to state: There is unlikely to be any serious risk of exposure; Take care to avoid falling through the roof; Carry out the work in accordance with 'Working with Asbestos Cement' (Health & Safety Executive); If possible spray with water to reduce dust; Try to remove whole sheets; Try to avoid breakage or sliding sheets over one another; Avoid use of power tools; Use a disposable dust mask (CE marked to EN 149 with FFP2 filters; After removal, bag or wrap (other than whole sheets) in polythene, seal and label 'Asbestos' and take to a licensed disposal site; and Information on disposal can be obtained from your local authority.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2000 09:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston Just a note of caution on painting the roof sheets. - As the original poster pointed out the moss (and lichens) growing on the roof will breakdown the upper layers of cement exposing "raw" chrysotile (white) - and in rare cases crocidolite or amosite(blue and brown respectively)- as will the gradual erosion by wind and acidic rain. - You can see the mat of fibres on the surface - if you get close enough. By preparing the upper surface for painting you'll have to remove the moss and lichens and you'll inevitably disturb this mat of fibres which would otherwise stay put without mechanical disturbance. The moss and lichens serve a useful role in retaining moisture, which will prevent fibre release - particularly with the more common chrysotile, which is hydrophillic. So painting or other disturbance of the upper surface is likely to involve higher risk of exposure than leaving well alone. By all means coat the underside to protect it from damage - this should be possible without aggressive surface preparation.