Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2000 16:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA WHERE I CAN GET INFO ON REGS , TRAINING COMPETENCE,OR ANY OTHER RELEVANT INFO ON H/P JETTING. I UNDERSTAND THAT THERE IS A ACOP BUT ITS A VOLUNTARY ONE AS THIS IS A UNKNOWN AREA FOR HEALTH/SAFETY. WHILST I DO KNOW THAT IT IS HIGHLY DANGEROUS,I BELIEVE THAT THE HSE ARE TRYING TO BRING TOGETHER COMPANYS THAT DEAL IN THIS WORK TO ASK FOR ADVICE SO THAT SAFE PROCEDURES CAN BE SET. ANY INFO IN THIS AREA WOULD BE OF GREAT USE. STEVE
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 November 2000 20:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Steve, As far as I am aware, the only official and specific HSE Guidance relating to HP Jetting is Guidance Note PM29 'Electrical Risks From Steam/Water Pressure Cleaners'. As its title suggests, it is only concerned with electrical safety. You have stated in your posting that there is a voluntary industry 'Code of Practice'. If this is the case, then the HSE may have had an input into it, or if not, would be aware of it and may refer to it for guidance in the event of an accident investigation. Having worked for the hot metal forging industry, I am aware that the HSE do not always have industry specific guidance. It is therefore left to the industry to develop its own guidance. The HSE often get involved in this as they are keen to see industry helping itself. My advice is to use your existing industry specific guidance and if necessary, review and amend it accordingly. Regards, Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 November 2000 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Steve. High Pressure water jetting training can be provided by Water Training International (WTi). Their contact details are: tel: 0118 981 3011 Fax: 0118 981 7000 Web-Site: www.wti.co.uk Also try the Water Industry training web site: www.betwi.demon.co.uk/ If all else fails try contacting Whale Tankers Ltd, based in the west midlands (they should be in the telephone book). They supply tankers and jetting machines to local authorities throughout the UK and I know they also run training courses for operatives on machines they sell. Perhaps they may be also be able to help. Hope this is of some assistance. Regards... Stuart Nagle