Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 December 2000 11:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Con.. I'm doing a risk assessment on a pregnant employee working in a swimming pool. Some hazards I need advice on are:- 1. High humidity environment? 2. Chlorine in the air, it's toxic effects? 3. General do's & don'ts for pregnant employees in a physicaly active job? If you can offer any assistance on the above it will be very much appreciated. Con..
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 December 2000 09:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Con I'm not aware of any particular pregnancy related risks from chlorine or high humidity. Provided plant, bunds, storage vessels and the dosing system are maintained and operated properly you should not have chlorine in the atmosphere anyway. I would stick to the guidance in the HSG 122 'New and Expectant Mothers'. The vast majority of pregnant workers can continue to work with no particular problems. Long hours standing should be avoided (seating?)and some restriction on handling during pregnancy are advisable. Noise in the main pool area can increase blood pressure too (reduce time spent there?). Also take into account the woman's return to work where surgical interventions(episiotomy, Caesarians etc.) may require a period of lighter duties even if they've been passed fit to return to work by their GP. Hope this helps Bryn
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 December 2000 15:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Con.. Thank you. Your recommendations are spot on! Con..
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 December 2000 21:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I agree with Bryn on this. It's the manual handling type jobs that swimming pool workers have to do that need to be addressed here - pulling long lane-ropes about, moving pool covers, etc. It can be surprising what you find some of them have to do when you ask them. One other thought - slippery surfaces and steps are always a concern with pools and will be an extra risk to the pregnant worker. Is the cleaning regime sufficient and could the stairs do with some anti-slip treatment?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 December 2000 08:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Conway Con. Swimming pools,particularly during the summer months, can be very warm and humdid. This needs to be taken into account as some pregnant women become less tolerant of these conditions and at increased risk of fainting. If you see this as a problem it could be overcome by task rotation. If she is lifeguarding and using the platform seats you should consider restricting its use as the pregnancy progresses - I suspect these seat do not allow the best of postures, there is limited opportunity to change position and there is the aspect going up and down the of the steps. Also if she is lifeguarding and expected to respond to an emergency is she going to be able to do that effectively and without risk to herself/baby? Steve