Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 December 2000 09:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Denis Hands Does anyone know the identity of any companies that carry out vibration measuring on the type of hand tools and equipment used on construction sites. Any information would be most useful.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2000 09:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karl Curtis Denis Not sure who does measurement etc but I attended a very useful IOSH seminar at Reebok Stadium last year and a HSE inspector gave a presentation on HAVS. I understand that all vibration risk equipment in this type of industry should by law have info re the rating of vibration as part of the information supplied. I understand that ISO 5349 "Guidelines for the measurement and assessment of human exposure to Hand arm vibration caters for this. There is also a BS 6842 and both are dose response related. My understanding is that over an 8 hour period max vibration should be equal to or less than 2.8M/sec squared. Similar principle to noise exposure is applicable. If you contact HSE at Manchester and ask to speak to GT Chisolm, he is a specilaist noise inspector and Im sure he'll be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck Karl
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 December 2000 12:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis Quinn INVC (Industrial Noise and Vibration Centre) based in Slough on 01753 530414. Be careful, alot of so-called "experts" are using "dodgey" techniques which may not stand up in court (there is a BS). INVC will do it properly
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 December 2000 09:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Budworth You can get a register of members from the Institue of Acoustics (free of Charge)which lists all of the noise and vibration consultancies across the country. Tel 01727 848 195 Best Regards Neil