Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 December 2000 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By tina I have just recived my secound incident which relates to a fall from a kick stool, when stepping onto or off the stool. Training in use has been given, the stools are in good maintance and the iteams being stacked whilst using this stools were light and not lifted high. This secound incident resulted in a nasty injury to the head as the individual fell backwards. Is this a design fault? Anyone with any similar incidents? Anyone with a solution?. (These stools are used on a shop floor were steps may lead to customer injury. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 December 2000 13:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I'm sorry to see that you haven't had a response yet. I have come across these things on a number of occasions over the years but am only aware of a few associated minor accidents. The problem tends to be that the stool requires a load acting downward to keep it in place. When a user steps on or off, there is a point at which there is insufficient force to hold the stool in place. This tends not to be a problem if the user steps on or off with a downward force only but, if the user steps on the nosing of the step, the force is applied toward the horizontal and the stool moves away. The answer seems to lie in user training, supervision and fairly slip-resistant flooring. This is not a vindication of kick stools but they do seem to meet a need where other access equipment would not be reasonably practicable.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 December 2000 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark A. Bush We have had similar problems with kick stools in archive filing stores. We had two incidents which resulted in injuries. Both injured parties successfully claimed damages. As a result, we have very strict controls over when and where kick stools can be used. We have the luxury of being able to specify other access equipment. This would not be practicable in a shop environment. I am sorry I am so vague but it really is down to assessing what is out there in the marketplace. I am personally not a fan of kick stools, they leave too much to chance. I can see that they have a place in sme workplaces though. Mark