Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 December 2000 14:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Webb I am currently "drafting" procedures entitled Selection of Contractors. Does anyone have a "check list" of questions to be asked of the contractors and documentation required? Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2000 15:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt You might take a look at the revised guidance in the CDM ACoP, where there is better advice than previously on this. It's worth checking by interview and visits if you can that people are doing what they say are, as well as just sending out questionnaires. At Bovis Lend Lease there is a big movement away from questionnaires because of the 'fib factor'. Allan
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 December 2000 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Uday Hi, Mike, This may assist u for the selection of sub-contractors....First of all ensure that the sub contractor shall be following the same levels of the HSE standards that u have and follow.Please apply yr own ( company's ) objectives 2 the prospective sub contractor. The proposed subcontractor must have their own Corporate HSE policy duly sealed, dated and signed by their Managing Director. They Must produce documentary evidence regarding their HSE performance on their previous contracts or for the last 5 years. Qualified and experienced personnel on their rolls.Proper availability of resources such as plant's, equipment and HSE professionals for guidance and advising,monitoring and implementation.etc...etc... This is not a short list, I guess this may help u for a start. Trust this helps.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 December 2000 12:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Michael, the answer is yes, but for reasons set out in my message today on the "Warning about sub-contractors vetting schemes...." thread, it is not something that we would wish to publicise. Whatever caveats were attached to release, we know that a questionnaire would be picked up an run with often in circumstances where it would be an inappropriate tool. The key issues are 1. Does the contractor have effective H&S management systems? - see HS(G)65 2. Are these implemented? - ie seek evidence 3. Are adequate training arrangements in place - this needs a carefully structured approach, and not questions like "Do you provide your staff with H&S training?" - how many contractors will answer NO!!! nor "What H&S training do you give your staff" - this question assumes that I give my Chief Executive the same training as our front line engineering staff - of course I don't - they have different training needs. 4. Do they have effective systems for selection and control of sub-contractors, and for liaison and cooperation with others at the same workplace? 5. Do they have access to sufficient H&S Advice (at the right level of competence and experience) whether in-house and/or through consultants? This one needs careful review of the answer. Sometimes you need to look at not only your projects, but the other work done by the contractor whether on construction or in their other activities which may include high risk activities such as open cast mining, stonemasonry and other factory operations etc. The attention which the contractor will need from their advisers re these other activities may well serve to undermine the resource available for inputting into work at your sites. Good luck, seasons greetings, Peter.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 December 2000 08:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Neville Johnson Michael Did you read the thread 'Health surveillance - refusal to attend'? I was reminded, as we all are from time to time, there is always a gap and sometimes a cavern between what is 'expedient' and what is 'best practice'. Whilst Alan highlights the 'fib factor' and Uday the need for 'evidence' to counteract this, clearly the standard to be aimed at, as both Peter and Alan suggest, is HS(G)65 and CDM. How this is achieved is invariably a human relations process and will take account of the support you can expect from your own company and the contractors themselves and your capacity to 'sell' and then to 'verify' your chosen solution. My experience suggests you must take people along with you and avoid the pitfalls of alienation, confrontation and polarisation. I suggest you always leave room for flexibility and progress when you design your checklist. Seasons greetings and best of luck. Frank
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 December 2000 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Pike Hi, Have you considered using the HSE's open learning booklet 'Managing Contractors - A Guide for Employers' ISBN 0-7176-1196-5 which was priced at £8-50 as a starting point in the selection of contractors? I deal with the safety management of contractors on a daily basis and I am willing to assist you if I can. If you email me I will return my contact numbers. Dave Pike