Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2001 12:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Jones An employee, working behind his desk in a Porta Cabin, had to be sent home, because of fumes that drifted in from outside. The fumes were as a result of contractors white line removing (via burning) outside in the car park where the Porta Cabin is situated. He was off work for two days. Is this a reportable injury? There have been instances in the past of car exhaust fumes building up in the portacabin from parked cars with engines running. The porta cabin is situated in a car park. Has there been similar incidents reported in the past? Are there regulations that cover the use of PortaCabins as offices?I am an employee and newly appointed safety rep of the company and am wondering whether or not to get the Local environmental Health involved as the company doesnt seem to be taking the matter seriously enough. If i do, how can they help?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2001 14:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky Henley Jim I would suggest this would not be a reportable incident, certainly if the employee had only two days off work(as long as they weren't either side of a weekend or other time off) and no injury or disease listed in the RIDDOR schedules occurred. I don't know what the nature of the business is, but in any event, look at Section 2 of the H&S at Work etc. Act 1974 (as I'm sure you already have). If you're talking about some form of construction site, look at the Construction (H,S &W)Regs. If not, go for the Workplace (H,S &W)Regs. If you are concerned about potentially harmful fumes building up, look at the requirements of the COSHH Regs. Some monitoring will probably be necessary to determine what, if anything, is present. Once information is available you can determine what is necessary to eliminate or control the problem. Is there a temporary (or permanent!) alternative workplace this person can utilise until the extent of the problem is known? Re the environmental health involvement, I would suggest that you approach management (again?!) with as much information as you can get and explain the situation. If you still see no progress, then you could try contacting your local enforcing authority. They almost certainly won't jump straight in with enforcement notices or action, but they will provide you with advice and information about procedures they will follow etc. Hope this is of some use to you.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2001 11:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By shaun mckeever Just a brief word of caution about describing modular prefabricated buildings as porta cabins. I understand that sometime ago 'Portakabin' got a little upset because 'inferior' buildings of a similar nature were always being described as porta cabins giving 'Portakabin' a bad image.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2001 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Jones An employee was overcome by fumes arising from whitelining being burnt off in a carpark. The fumes entered his office via an open door. The employee was sent home. The chemical ingredients of the paint fumes were as follows Hydrocarbon Resins Mineral Oil Titanium dioxide Does anyone know of any short term or long term affects of such chemicals if inhaled? If no one has immediate knowledge, can you help by pointing me in the right direction via use of web-sites or professional help to help me further understand the problems associated with inhalation of such chemicals. Thanks