Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2001 11:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Katie Hello there, Can anyone recommend how long you should wait between finishing the NEBOSH Cert course and sitting the exam. I'm due to attend one very shortly and the exam is a fortnight later. Is this too soon? The agency running the course recommends a period of 4 months between finishing the course and sitting the exam.(when their exam is next scheduled). What is the general consenus for those of you that have completed the course and do you have any other advice? Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2001 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne Katie, The key consideration is whether you think you are ready to sit the exam. If you feel that you have assimilated the course material and done enough practice exam questions, you might want to do it and get it out of the way! I did the Cert. course as two one-week blocks with plenty of extra study time and exam question practice in between, took the exam at the end of the second block and passed. Good luck, whichever way you decide to do it. Cheers Diane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2001 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts Katie, I did the course as a 10 x 1/2 day course and took the exam the day after the last 1/2 day session. I got a credit I suggest take it when you feel ready but its better when things are fresh in your mind. good luck Phil
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2001 13:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Allan Katie, As a provider I know only too well that all delegates are different and work at varying speeds and everyone wishes they had more time. I would say that 2 weeks between course completion and exam is just about right for most people. It allows sufficient time for revision and little time to forget what you have learnt. A long delay, despite the best will in the world only gives you longer to leave the books to one side and then give yourself about a fortnight to do some (now panic) revision. Structure your revision, do as many practice questions as possible, progressively do them without looking at your books and then finally do some under exam conditions. The main problem with most NEBOSH delegates is that the time management is poor (aim for a mark a minute, this leaves 20 mins for checking etc. Answer all the questions - you can't get any marks for nil writing (so obvious - but seen too often. Read carefully and answer the question asked - not the one you hoped or thought they had asked. Try to get hold of the examiners reports from NEBOSH - this will give you some idea of the pitfalls and what was expected. Good luck with your exams David