Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2001 14:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Daniels The Social Security Act says that employers must have an accident book in an approved form (for example BI510). While this may be strictly true how many companies use these books? I know large companies who use looseleaf accident forms which are widely available to anyone who needs to report an accident and do not keep another accident book as well. I would like to adopt this approach but does anyone foresee any legal problems with doing so.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2001 19:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ron muir As far as I know as long as you have made a record of the accident/incident in the same manner as asked in BI510 then you should not have a problem. It is difficult enough trying to get people to fill in one accident/incident book without giving them another book to complete. Obviously this will of course depend upon the size of the employer and their resources, it would not be reasonable for a corner shop to go to the expense of producing their own acciden/incident book when they can purchase a copy of BI510. Hope this helps you.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2001 07:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt I agree with what the previous respondent said. Those of you who don't actually use the social security accident book may be interested to know that it has changed recently. The book now has a space for the injured party to sign, to confirm the accuracy of the entry. Regards Jane
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2001 08:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Whilst the former BI510 book or equivalent was required under Social Security legislation for recording employee accidents, the new 'Accident Book' now refers also to Health and Safety at Work law - but still appears designed for recording employee accidents. Separate accident report forms may be advantageous for recording incidents involving clients, pupils, visitors, etc and can provide for more information to be recorded - but there is usually the risk of forms going missing and not being available for inspection when suddenly required. A careful decision seems to be needed as to which arrangement will work best for your particular workplace.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2001 11:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Barry I agree with Ken that you must make a decision about which system you adopt, wether you keep both reporting systems or just the one, it depends on what you want from your system and how much data you wish to collect. You can discontinue with the accident book provided you obtain permission from the DSS. Send them a copy of the reporting system you wish to use (we did and they required a small amendment to the form!) and provided they approve you can drop the accident book. Running two systems does not go down well with managers (my experience). The address to send your request is DSS, The Adelphi, 1 - 11 John Adam Street, London, WC2N 6HT. Regards Peter
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 January 2001 09:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Just to concur with what Peter has said, you need to gain exemption from the DSS to stop using the BI510 although I don't know how vigorously this is 'policed' by them. You would soon know when a member of staff claims some sort of injury/invalidity benefit and they ask fo a copy of the BI form. When all's said and done the vast majority of bespoke accident forms contain a hell of a lot more info than the BI !
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 January 2001 09:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By MALCOLM HAMILTON From reading over the posted response's.It would appear that the Social Security have update the Accident Book, can anybody tell me when this change took place and what is the latest reprint of BI 510. Thanks
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 January 2001 10:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The new 'Accident Book' came out in 1998 and is available from the Stationery Office.