Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2001 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts Can anybody point me in the direction of any guidlines on weight limits for school children delivering newspapers. My company wish to start useing direct deliveries for our weekly newspapers with school children as the main source of labour. I know the HSE have just published advice for employers and newsagents on handling newspaper bundles with a maximum target weight of 18 kgs. reducing to 17 kgs but there is no mention of weights for juveniles. I would also like your thoughts on how to carry out risk assessments for newspaper delivery boys and girls Thanks in advance Phil Roberts
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2001 14:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Budworth An article was published recently in th Environmental Health Journal which discussed some research in this area. E mail me with you fax number and I'll send it through to you. Best Regards Neil
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2001 14:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett You may find it useful to contact BackCare, who used to be the National Back Pain Association. They produce an information pack for schools about back care. This includes a table of recommended weights for school bags, which will probably be a good starting point. I can let you have a copy if you need one quickly. With regard to risk assessments I'd suggest you look at manual handling, lone working, any known medical conditions that the child may have, road traffic accidents and compliance with local child labour bye laws for starters. Hope this is helpful!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 January 2001 04:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Try the Archive on the new Chat Forum under "search" (to the right of the Chat Box). On the 19th., December 2000 Peter Ganaway raised similar topics and there are several answers. Amongst these is referenece to Trade Associations , one for Newsagents and one I think from memory for Newspaper Publishers but the respondent identified that these organisations offer advice and help in the area you are questioning. Hope this helps. Regards. Ken Urquhart.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 January 2001 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts Zoe, I would be grateful for any information you have on back care for school children and contact details for BACK CARE. My e-mail is healthandsafety@chronicle.u-net.com Fax is 01244 340165. Please mark fax FAO Phil Roberts I have a meeting with distribution management on Friday to discuss implications of direct deliveries so I need information quite quickly if Possible Thanks Phil Roberts
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 January 2001 18:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston Backcare (formerly national back pain association) here http://www.backpain.org/