Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2001 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shaun Churchill The Managing Director of the company that I work for as Health & Safety Manager, has received a written reply from a government department (not HSE to my knowledge)that there is no legal requirement for construction employees to be vaccinated for Tetanus. My question is does anyone out there have any Case Law or compelling information that I may use to counter act this now entrenched view the management here now have. PS. Our employees are working almost exclusively in Health Care environments and involved in all aspects of construction thereof.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2001 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts Shuan, I'm not sure about legal requirements but Managment regulations require risk assessment are carried out and any findings of those assesments acted upon. Surely your risk assessment would indicate the need for vaccination in these circumstances as a reasonably practicable requirement. It could also be concidered as PPE. Just a thought Regards Phil Robertts
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2001 08:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin R. Bessant Dear Shawn, I agree with Phil that your company must carry out risk assessments to determine the needs for vaccinations. I am sure that the Construction SG would support the need for all workers to be protected against Tetanus, but I also note that you work in healthcare. When I was working for the NHS we advised all contractors to consider providing Hepatitis vaccinations to all operatives if there was any possibility that they would be working in contact with drains etc. Healthcare projects do not tend to impose greater risks within buildings being modified etc. but there are risks (abeit fairly low) if working drains are disturbed. I would suggest that your firm gets some advise from an Occupational Health provider or even EMAS. Hope this helps. Martin B.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2001 15:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Martin has correctly referred you to your OH provider and EMAS. You might also try your local Health Authority and whatever the local Community Health Council people are called these days. In a local authority for whom I once worked we had risk assessments for a range of diseases, including Tetanus, Polio, TB, Hepatitis A&B and Typhoid, and identified categories of staff at low, moderate and high risk. Generally, the risk groups for Tetanus were persons working with soil, caretaking, culverts, drainage, excavations and the like. Those at moderate or high risk were offered vaccination - which was either 3 doses at 1 month intervals or, if a primary dose had been given in childhood, a reiforcing dose at 10 yearly intervals. I am aware of no legal compulsion for vaccination and there are contra-indications: previous severe reactions, and hypersensitivity; and possible side effects.