Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2001 21:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Elaine Carboni Im doing a project in college I can find tons of evidance saying yes stress is now a common factor and 7 out of the 13 main sickness abscence is due to this. I cant find any information about it from the other angle being its all in the head its a new trendy illness can anyone help.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2001 08:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike McDonnell Have you seen the Contract Research Paper from the HSE? the author I think from memory is Tom Cox. Another point of call you may find usefull is the CIPD 'libary enquiries' on 020 8263 3355 mention you are student doing research. If you need further information give me a ring on 07990 698856 Mike
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2001 09:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston Check out: Work-related factors and ill health - The Whitehall II Study, CRR266/2000 and, The scale of occupational stress: the Bristol Stress and Health at Work Study, CRR265/2000, both here http://www.hse.gov.uk/re.../content/crr/250-274.htm you might also look at the latter's recent follow-up: The scale of occupational stress: a futher analysis of the impact of demographic factors and type of job, CRR 311/2000, which is here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/re.../content/crr/300-324.htm Prepare yourself for excruciatingly long downloads - the HSE hasn't quite got the hang of the pdf format.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2001 11:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Hi Elaine. There are a number of occupations where stress is a very real factor affecting performance, levels of sickness and absenteeism, there have been serveral studies of stressful occupations done, and national newspapers have reported on these so a search of their archives may assist. I was employed in Local Government for a number of years (too many!!) and in reflection, as I progressed up the ladder the stress levels grew. Local governement was reported in one study as in the top 5 stressful occupations. Not long before I left Local Government, it was not uncommon for me to suffer from bouts of illness, colds, flu (and two medical complaints that required minor surgery) that resulted several weeks each year off work. In addition, I often honestly felt - on recovery - "oh no, not back there again"!!! Now... I am NOT saying all this was due to stress, however in the last 5 years of working in another environment away from the (stress) of the local government environment, I have had only one period of absence through sickness ( for 3 days) and find that I do not bite heads off everyone at home who comes within 5 feet of me after 17.00hrs each day. I can only put it down to the work, working enviroment, levels of work imposed, increased levels of responsibility - ever rising, less and less staff, less money in budgets but being asked to balance the books and do increased items of work, the 'need' to respond to 'customers' and taking the abuse from members of the public (the like of which you would probably simply not believe if I told you),and believe it or not Councillors, some of whom have a particular genius for making ones life a misery, the hierachy within local governement ( its principal officers in particular)and its affect on staff, the continuing efforts of local government to meet standards imposed by officals (without the resources or funding) to meet every new idea and scheme that comes along.... I could go on but your probably bored stiff already... So YES stress is not new, but newly recognised (again), as a major contributing factor to the performance of staff at work. How one beats it in environments such as local government I do not know, but this is one person who was pleased he stepped away after 24 years and now never felt better. Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 February 2001 21:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ngaire Lowndes Six of one, half a dozen of t'other. I do think stress is more prevalent (please note spelling, it'll help your college grades no end). As a legal secretary of 12 years standing the expectations have risen and risen for me to be simultaneously audio-typing, managing the office, and answering the telephone calls from stressed-out clients. Where once there was a telephonist and an office manager we secretaries now have to do it all ourselves. Constantly switching from one task to another at the shrill of a telephone or the command of a fee earner is highly stressful. 'Quality Assurance' in whatever form it takes is another burden that makes a mockery of common sense and courtesy. Small employers are required to adhere to endless pettifogging rules and regulations whatever their line of business, and this lack of autonomy also causes stress. And who gets it in the neck? Yup, the 'office wife'... the secretary. If I could afford it I'd give up work tomorrow and sit at home writing pleasant romantic novels. What used to be a pleasant social work environment is now a nightmare.