Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2001 23:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pat Burns As part my research on an assignment for my part 2 NEBOSH Diploma, I was astounded to find 184 cases listed on the HSE name and shame website where a fatality(s) had occured. Of all these cases where about 200 people were killed, only two resulted in a manslaughter charge, one being let off free on a conditional discharge and the other got a suspended sentence. The cases go back a few years so this begs the question. With the exception of R v OLL Ltd 1994, has anyone since this date received a prison sentence for a fatality in the workplace. It also opens up the debate regarding the time it is taking to reform the law on Involuntary Manslaughter. Comments wlecome please.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2001 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Pat, what astounds me is that so few of the fatal accidents in what is in effect a 21 month period covered by the name and shame site have resulted in prosecution of any type. Perhaps one of the outcomes of Revitalising H&S will be that HSE will ensure that their Inspectors are keener to demonstrate a more rigorous approach to making sure that justice is seen to be done. p