Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 February 2001 10:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Matthews Can anyone please help? I believe we should be testing our fire alarm system every week, but our Facilities Manager disagrees, he says it only needs to be tested every so often. Is there any legislation on this or has anyone any views? Cheers Bob
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 February 2001 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Bennett Bob, FIRE SAFETY - An Employers Guide (Part 3 - Further Guidance on Fire Precautions) states, Electrical fire detection and fire warning systems should be tested weekly for function and to check whether they can be heard throughout the area covered. Make sure they can be seen or heard, particually by disbled people, and that voice alarms can be understood. They should also be inspected and tested quarterly and annually by a competent person. We carry out a weekly test and rotate call point operated to ensure that each one is activated on a rolling basis. If you like I can fax you the passage from the publication. Hope this helps.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 February 2001 12:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Matthews John, I would appreciate a fax, the number is 0161-682-9487 Many Thanks Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 February 2001 09:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie This ties in very well with my recent thread on Enforcement Agencies. I too would like to test my fire alarms weekly, but the local Fire Prevention Officer has told my Facilities Manager that we only need to do them monthly. I repeat - this sort of thing is very frustrating, Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 February 2001 21:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Bennett If your premises is covered by a fire cirtificate then you are required under Part 3 to test the fire alarm on a weekly basis. Hope this helps, John
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2001 12:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Bennett Bob, you can download the document; "Fire Safety an Employers Guide" @ http://www.official-docu...cument/fire/contents.htm Kind Regards Lee.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 10 February 2001 18:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Neville Johnson Bob There is no law as such requiring fire alarm systems to be tested weekly. However, by implication a fire certificate is a legal instrument and may make such requirements. The age of the fire certificate quite often will determine the frequency at which the fire alarm is to be tested since it will invariably reflect the code of practice or British Standard in force at the time of issue. Local Authorities will be sensitive to these differences and will often make a judgement based on a risk assessment at the time of the inspection. Reference to your fire certificate will determine the frequency of tests required by law. However, If you do not have a fire certificate then the Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations 1999 apply, the relevant section being regulation 6, 'system of maintenance'. An adequate system of testing and maintenance will be determined by (dare I say) a 'risk assessment'. In order then to determine what might be reasonable 'today' reference should be made to British Standard BS5839: Part 1: 1988 as amended (I think there is a 1999 version). Although this standard has no force in law it is the one used most frequently by Local Authority Fire Officers to determine what is reasonable, and guess what, it recommends weekly tests. Best of Luck Frank