Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 February 2001 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ernest LEE 1.Can anyone suggest any sources of information on the internet for safety auditing? 2. I realize that many safety auditor use checklist approach in a conducting safety audit? Is it the only way to do so? Any alternative methods?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2001 08:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Wilkes Ernest, Don't know about safety auditing on net but there are several reasonable books on the subject e.g. Environmental, Health and Safety Auditing Handbook by Harrison (American). As you know the idea of safety auditing is to test out the systems which are or are not in place. Yes you can use a checklist but this must be based on the management systems that you are trying to test which may of course be based on HS(G)65. There is then the question of how you are going to do it. The checklist may be used as an interview tool for management. It may be that you are taking a top down slice through a department to see how they manage all aspects of H&S. It may be that you are looking at how that manage one particular issue across all departments e.g waste management or risk assessment. A lot of this will depend on what you want to achieve from the audit. Is it a baseline audit (i.e where are we now?) or a follow up to check what progress has been made. If you could give me a bit more detail I can advise in a bit more detail. Regards Barry