Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 February 2001 11:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Adams I am interested in any up to date information on the above subject - for example safety of rucksacks/schoolbags and their correct manual handling techniques??
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 February 2001 12:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Harper useless information, but I remeber a BBC documentary or news story on the issue of the issue of women and handbags! All I can remember is the the phenominal weight of 6 kg being the point on the scale where there was a drastic increase in problems. But the main point was the phenomanal amount of time that women hold onto these weights and the individuals they were interviewing were all shapes, sizes and age. I would concentrate on the individuals capability and the amount of time that these things are in use. What are you doing to these poor souls? I have a rucksack myself and use was improved by reading the suppliers instructions on how to pack it, putting it on properly and then adjustment in use.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 February 2001 13:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Chris Try the National Back Exchange on 01327 352555. I seem to recall they'd conducted research on this subject that showed an alarming problem in the making, to the point where they did a school campaign and designed an ergo ruck sack for schoolkids. If unsuccessful let me know and I'll contact my ex back care advisor who was involved in some way. Regards Bryn
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2001 15:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan There was written guidance issued on this but I can't recall whether it was The National Back Exchange or the HSE. Try the National Back Exchange Website on www.backpain.org/index.htm
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 February 2001 16:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston Just try a google search using something like "ergonomics school bags" as your term - loads of useful hits www.google.com Anecdotal - On holiday in Spain last year I was stuck by the number of primary school children who pulled purpose built school bags with wheels around with them. I've seen a few in the UK, but far and away the majority of the kids I saw in Spain used these bags