Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 March 2001 17:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Massey We have recently undergone refurbishment of oneof our laboratories and have been supplied with "spigotted" gas tap type fittings for our compressed air outlets. The suggested method of securing braided polythene tubing to these is by using a jubilee clip. The supply pressure is nominally 90psi and I dougt that a jubilee clip would suffice as being suitable or sufficient. I would appreciate being pointed at the relevant Regulations and any suggested acceptable methods of securing the above would be welcome.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2001 21:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle dave the normal method of connection to such systems is by a 'Bayonet fitting' which pushes on (twists itself when pushed and secures). To remove it must be turned (twisted) manually and removed, Similar to the type of fixings used to drive air fed tools or for air-line fed Breathing Apparatus. I agree with you that you may have a problem at 90Lbs psi and remember the pressure is variable not constant. It rather sounds that you have got a rather cheap job here. Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2001 09:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan The fittings referred to are known as shraeder valves. They come in various sizes depending on the type of gas/air to be piped.