Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2001 18:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Con.. Can small hand-held blow torches be used in kitchens for torching certain foods. Is it illegal and what is the alternative? Are their any good web pages out their on Kitchen safety?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2001 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I'm not in the hotel trade but I understand that they can be used subject to proper risk assessment and control measures. I would expect them to appear in both general and fire risk assessments and, possibly, HACCP records - with trained staff, safe storage of equipment and gas canisters, fire extinguishers and blankets, etc. Have you got the set of free Food and Catering Information Sheets from the HSE, the DOH guides to the food hygiene regs, 'Assured Safe Catering', and the new 'Food Safety Handbook' (Eaton Publications 01932 229001?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 March 2001 09:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Risk assessment is all! I am in FE and we have a training restaurant where students prepare and serve meals to the public. They both use torches and flambe food at the table. I recently watched aghast as half a bottle of brandy leapt up towards the smoke detector, the lecturer having threatened to to remove certain parts of my anatomy if I identified myself to the students! (I was in as a paying customer) Seriously, adequate fire extinguishers, plenty of room between tables, nightly/daily check of fire routes, good housekeeping and, in my case, close supervision should reduce the risk to an acceptable level. Your local fire prevention/fire safety officer will be only too pleased to help Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 March 2001 22:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Other serious comments posted apart, they make seriously delicious toppings... yumyum Stuart Nagle