Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 March 2001 09:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Can anybody give me a steer to guidance on use of radiac sources in schools/colleges? I have refereneces to HS(G) 91, and HS(G) 49, and to an NRPB Code of Practice, but I can't find any of them. Thanks Richard
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 March 2001 11:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Try the Consortium of Local Education Authorities for the Provision of School Science (CLEAPSS) who are based in Uxbridge (sorry don't have the number with me!) - THE people for anything to do with science in schools. Alternatively try your LEA's Science Advisory teacher if they have one.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2001 11:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ed Carter Richard, You may get some help from a DFEE Administrative Memorandum, No 1/92. Regards, Ed
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 March 2001 11:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Website Co-ordinator www.cleapss.org.uk Helpline tel. 01895 251496 Fax 01895 814372 Had these to hand - hope it helps. Angela Wheatcroft
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 March 2001 14:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson As I am working in the HE Sector I am not aware if the CLEAPSS Guidance has been updated to take on board the changes which were brought in by the Ionising Radiation Regulations 1999. Having said that, you should consult a Radiation Protection Advisor before undertaking any work with ionising radiation. The RPA will be able to give you professional advice on work practices to minimise any risks. Also you will need guidance to ensure that you are complying with the requirements of any Exemption Orders issued under the Radioactive Substance Regulations 1985. If you are not complying with the orders you will have to register with the Environment Agency and pay various fees.