Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 March 2001 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Webb I am currently in the process of writing procedures on contact with sewage for our housing maintenance dept. Our operatives are exposed when rodding / cleaning drains, removing toilet pans, repairing drains / I.C's etc. I have sought advice on vaccinations from several Occupational Health providers but recieve differing advice; some recommend Polio and Tetanus, others include Hep A. Does anyone have experience of such an issue?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2001 15:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan Michael There have been a couple of threads concerning this in the last few weeks. Try looking at some of the previous threads.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 March 2001 11:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe McNicholas Michael, I was involved in exactly this kind of work for approx 12 years on the operational and H&S side and would recommend the following vaccinations: Hepatitus A Hepatitus B Tetanus Not just for sewage but needle stick injuries should be taken into account. There are departments that state that you should have vaccinations against polio and other various illnesses/ diseases but I personally do not think it reasonably practicable. Obviously, training in personal hygiene and facilities for washing hands/ clothes etc should be first and foremost. Hope this helps but if you need any further info please e-mail me. Best Regards Joe
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 March 2001 16:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dot Tadman Hi Michael, I asked the same sort of question a couple of weeks ago and although our engineers already have Hep A, Hep B and Tetanus, the management team are looking into Polio and Typhoid to see if they really are needed. One of my replies was from Stuart Nagle who clarified my question. Have a look at the thread,you may get some more answers there. As Joe says, Hep A, Hep B and Tetanus are a must, the others I would think are dependant on where and what you are working on. I would agree with Joe in that the above three are the most needed and would cover the majority of events. Hope this helps. Regards, Dot