Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2001 00:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank penny Hi folks I’m a newbie to the group my name is Frank Penny my apologies in advance for this “epistle” frpennybit@ntlworld.com I am a mature student studying for a BSc (Hons) Construction Management (Health and Safety)] Following work-related spinal injury (T9/10 & C5/6) and surgery I was unable to continue working as a bricklayer; and rather than sit and vegetate at home I decided that furthering my education was the best route to get myself back into the job market. Final year dissertation is:- “An exploration of the physiological & psychological effects of spinal injury both to victims and their families.” I know from first hand experience of the socio-economic, psychological & physiological effects that construction injuries have on the family unit, but as with all dissertation work, reference has to be made to empirical & research evidence that will support ones arguments. Well I’ve done that bit now. I am writing to ask the forum members for some help in contacting people who have suffered workplace spinal injuries. In order to compare reality with the theory I would like to ask these victims of spinal injury, a series of questions about how the injury affected them and more particularly their relationship with their spouses, partners, kids and family. I have submitted my own case history for inclusion in the dissertation but I feel the reality check / message would be more powerful if it came from people outside of my own sphere of influence. The path my dissertation has taken is Discovery and exploration of the physiological and psychological aspects of spinal injury, and the way in which it can affect family relationships. I have focused on Back and Spinal Cord Injury, as they are the most common type of injury in the UK construction industry. (HSC Injury Stats 1997/98) I have shown during the course of the dissertation how work related stress can contribute to increased incidence of accidents on construction sites. Work published by (Bing, Hu. et al 1990) show that construction workers suffer 15% higher stress levels on average than the ambient working population I have shown that the loss of physical ability and subsequent reduction in the quality of life coupled with the inability to provide fully for ones family can cause a loss of self worth, create low self-esteem and can in some cases lead to the break up of the family unit and to repossession of personal property and loss of home. That’s the theory part; I just need to back this up wit a few case histories. I feel that the dissertation material will form an important and integral method of promoting Health & Safety awareness to all stakeholders on construction sites. Rather than only highlighting the hazards and risks of injury to the person, I feel that by targeting the emotional hot button of the consequential debilitating effect of spinal trauma to the family unit will hopefully grab the attention of my peers at the “brickface”. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If any one would like to take part or you know of anyone who would like to help I can be contacted directly at frpennybit@ntlworld.com I can send the questionnaire as a word attachment upon request. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read this rather long post, I hope that you can understand where I am coming from and that you can in some way contribute. Yours gratefully, Frank Penny