Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 March 2001 13:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE HI EVERYONE WONDERING IF ANYONE HS THE TIME TOGIVE ME SOME INFO. A FEW MTHS AGO I SENT A THREAD IN ASKING IF A 15 MIN VIDEO WAS ENOUGH TO BECOME A TOP/MAN[HOLE WATCHER}. WHILST I MYSELF WAS CONCERNED ABOUT THIS IT WAS STILL DEEMED GOOD ENOUGH ON THE SITE WHERE I WORKED. AS A CONTRACTOR I JOINED THE SAFETY COMMITEE FOR CONTRACTORS WHERE I BROUGHT THS UP,WHILST THINGS HAAVE IMPROVED THE C/S COURSE IS NOW 2HRS WITH A 20 QUESTION PAPER{THE TUTOR HAS NO EXPERENCE OF C/S OTHER THAN BASIC H&S AND WHAT IS PRESENTED ON VIDEO AND PAPER FORMAT} IM STILL CONCERNED THAT RECORDS SHOW THAT NO-ONE HAS FAILED WTH THIS SYSTEM,AM I BEING TO SCEPTIC. I HAVE JUST STARTED MY DIPLOMA PT1 AND HAVE ASKED THE H&S MANAGER IF I CAN COME UP WITH A QUESTIONIARRE TO AUDIT THE DIFFERENT PERSONEL{CONTRACTORS+SITE STAFF} WHO HAVE PASSED THIS COURSE TO SEE IF WEEKS DOWN THE LINE ,WHAT LEVEL OF COMPETENCE IS STILL ENFORCED. I FEEL SURE THAT WITH THIS STILL SMALL AMOUNT OF TRAINING THAT MY FEARS WILL BE CONFIRMED. IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS THAT THEY FEEL THAT A CONFINED SPACE HOLE WATCHER SHOULDKNOW I WOULD BE GRATEFUL OF YOUR SUGGESTIONS SO AS TO PUT THEM ON MY LIST. WHEN I HAVE DONE MY SURVEY AND REPORTED BACK WITH MY FINDINGS I WILL COME BACK TO CHATROOM TO DISCUSS. I KNOW CIARAN, PHIL AND STUART WILL HAVE SOME INPUT ON THIS BECAUSE OF THE WAY THEY FEEL ABOUT C/SPACES BUT OTHERS WHO DO NOT HAVE THE SAME EXPERENCE SHOULD RESPOND ASWELL AS MAYBE THE EXPERIENCED WILL FORGET ABOUT THE BASIC QUESTIONS THEY SHOULD KNOW. I DONT WANT TO MAKE THE QUESTONIRRE TO COMPLECAITED OR TO LONG SO I WILL USE THE BEST. WHEN DONE WLL PRINT THE QUESTIONS ON HERE ND TELL YOU OF THE FINDINGS. NEED QUESTIONS NO LATER THAN 23/3/01 STEVE
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 March 2001 14:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE PLEASE EXCUSE MY NOT CHECKING OF GRAMMER AND SPELLING. MY KEYBOARD IS NEARLY KAPUT STEVE
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2001 13:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Steve It is our contention that topmen need to be as competent as the confined space entry workers since topmen often perform the role of entry worker also. If you can be absolutely certain that the topman will never enter the confined space then as a minimum you need him to; * Be able to identify confined spaces, * Be aware of the hazards associated with confined spaces, * Be aware of confined spaces hazard controls, * Be aware of his role and responsibility as topman (including the importance of it), * Be completely aware of his limitations We have an internet training program (with end test) aimed at basic awareness for confined spaces workers. You will find it at the following web address; http://www.confinedspace...W01/CSHEU/CSHEUFrame.htm I hope this helps. Call me if you need any more. Regards Ciaran mailto:ciaran@confinedspaces.com
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 March 2001 09:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Steve. I have just returned from the Falkland Islands, so just made your cut-off point mentioned (23rd March). A 15 minute video, in my humble opinion, would not equip anyone with the necessary skills and knowledge to undertake, competently, the role and duties incumbent on a member of a confined spaces work team, even if, as you state, they are only acting as 'top-man'. I suggest that as a starting point, you obtain, read and make reference to the Confined Spaces Regulations 1997. Most deaths involving confined space entries involve 'top-men' or others outside the space, who are insufficiently trained,. or indeed, untrained. 80% of all deaths in fact are those (usually 'top-men') who enter a confined space to attempt to rescue a work mate or colleague who has got into trouble. This alone, exemplifies the dangers involved and should show that suitable and sufficient training and competence is required of ALL persons involved in works of this nature. I would suggest that the employer in this case is far from meeting the duties placed on him under statutory and regulatory health and safety requirements, and, in particular, the confined spaces regulations. best regards... Stuart Nagle